WestJet helps in Haiti
Since the tragic earthquake in Haiti on January 12, 2010, WestJet has worked to support the international relief effort in multiple ways. In addition to our $100,000 donation to the Canadian Red Cross to assist with immediate needs, we donated a flight to World Vision Canada and delivered $200,000 worth of vital medical supplies to the airport in Port-au-Prince. On our return flight, we were able to bring 120 Canadians back to Montréal on behalf of Foreign Affairs Canada.
WestJetters have also demonstrated a passionate response by donating over $90,000 (to date) from their own pockets and generating ideas on how WestJet could help. As a result, we have been collecting donations at our airports across Canada as well as on northbound flights from our Caribbean and Mexican destinations.
We recognize that it is important to continue to support the relief and rebuilding efforts in Haiti. We are committed to providing ongoing support by donating flights to:
- Volunteer/relief workers from recognized relief organizations in Haiti.
- Adoptive parents greeting in-bound adopted children (as coordinated by the federal government - Citizenship and Immigration Canada’s Operation Stork).
- Recognized organizations hosting fundraising efforts in support of Haiti relief efforts.
WestJet will consider flight donations for volunteer and relief workers with a recognized charitable or not-for-profit agency that can demonstrate its ability to deliver necessary aid and rebuilding services in a self-sustaining manner in Haiti. The donated flights will take qualified volunteers and relief workers from Canadian cities to Toronto and on to Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic, or Fort Lauderdale or Miami in Florida. WestJet will provide return flights to approved volunteers and relief workers outbound from Puerto Plata, Fort Lauderdale or Miami to their originating cities in Canada. Please note that WestJet will not be responsible or liable for providing or assisting in securing transportation from Puerto Plata, Fort Lauderdale or Miami to Haiti or from Haiti to Puerto Plata, Fort Lauderdale or Miami.
If you are a volunteer or relief worker interested in this opportunity, please email WJCommunityCare@westjet.com with the subject line: WestJet Flight Opportunity - Volunteer and Relief Workers.
Please include the following details in your email:
- The name of the relief organization you are volunteering or working with.
- Your desired flight dates (flights will be booked for volunteer and relief workers’ flights within a two-week window prior to the anticipated departure date). All successful applicants will be required to complete a travel release form prior to flights being booked.
WestJet is pleased to work with Citizenship and Immigration Canada’s Operation Stork to support parents adopting children from Haiti.
Parents who wish to travel to Ottawa to meet their adopted children from Haiti are invited to email Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: WestJet Flight Opportunity – Adoptions.
Parents need to ask CIC to confirm that their adopted child is on an airline’s manifest to Ottawa from Haiti. Once this has been confirmed, CIC will send the parents a confirmation message. Parents are asked to provide WestJet with this confirmation by emailing a copy of it to WJCommunityCare@westjet.com with the subject line: WestJet Flight Opportunity - Adoptions. Inquiries for flights will be answered within 24 hours of notification.
WestJet will fly up to two family members to Ottawa to pick up their adopted child from Haiti, and then fly two family members and the adopted child (or children) to their home city (or the closest city in our network to their home).
WestJet will consider flight donations for fundraising efforts organized by existing charities, community/civil/trade associations and for-profit businesses. Donated flights will be in the form of flight vouchers that can be raffled or auctioned at public events for the purpose of raising funds for Haiti relief efforts.
Businesses and organizations that meet the following criteria will be considered for flight donations:
- For-profit businesses hosting a fundraising initiative in support of a recognized charity or NGO providing relief support in Haiti
- Charities or NGOs hosting a fundraising initiative to aid the relief support that they are providing in Haiti
- Community/civil/trade associations (e.g. Lions Clubs, Rotary, chambers of commerce, churches and schools) hosting a fundraising initiative in support of a recognized charity or NGO providing relief support in Haiti
Please note that flight donations will not be considered to offset the travel costs of talent, employees or volunteers associated with the fundraising initiatives.
To request a flight donation, please email WJCommunityCare@westjet.com with the subject line: WestJet Flight Opportunity – Fundraising. Please be sure to include the following details:
- The name of your event
- The date of your event
- Your contact information
- The intended use of the flight voucher (i.e. raffle or auction)
- The name of the charity/NGO you are supporting
Inquiries for flight vouchers will be answered within two business days. This program ends on February 1, 2011.