We know how much you care about your pets. Following the regulations below will help us ensure that the furry members of your family arrive safely.
Booking your pet
Here is some important information about shipping pets with WestJet Cargo.
- All live animals shipped as cargo must be booked and approved in advance by WestJet Cargo.
- Live animals cannot be held overnight at our cargo facilities.
- Whenever possible, WestJet Cargo plans to ship live animals on a non-stop or direct flight, however, we will allow live animals on a flight with a maximum of one connection.
- On weekends, pets may only be booked on direct flights.
- There are limits on the number of cargo pets per flight. Please contact us for details.
- Pets are not permitted in the cabin as cargo shipments.
- Guests must transport animals to the warehouse at least two hours prior to flight departure.
- Kennels must be made of fibreglass, metal or rigid plastic.
- Kennels with plastic doors are not allowed.
- If a kennel has wheels, they must be removed or rendered inoperable.
- A maximum of two animals of comparable size, no more than 14 kg each, which are used to co-habitation, may be shipped in the same container. Animals over that weight must travel individually.
- A maximum of three animals, up to six months old and from the same litter, may be shipped in the same container.
- A combination of pets is not permitted in the same container (i.e. dog and cat).
- The container must allow the animal(s) to stand up, turn around, and lie in a natural position.
- No water or food containers are allowed in the kennel, unless it is a spill-proof container, firmly attached to the kennel.
- The kennel floor must be solid, leak-proof and covered with a layer of absorbent non-consumable bedding material.
- The maximum allowable weight of a kennel (including the animal) is 160 lbs. (72.5 kg).
- Kennel doors must be fastened securely with plastic zip ties.
- WestJet assumes no responsibility for the care or feeding of pets while in transit, so it is important that you prepare your pet for its journey.
- Weaned puppies or kittens younger than eight weeks must not be shipped due to the possibility of dehydration during air transportation.
- Tranquilization of cats and dogs is not recommended, however, if the shipper plans on sedating the animal, a notice from the administering veterinarian must be presented at the time of tender stating the animal is in good health and able to travel.
Miniature 20 in. x 12 in. x 12 in. 50 cm x 30 cm x 30 cm Small 21 in. x 15 in. x 15 in. 53 cm x 38 cm x 38 cm Junior 27 in. x 20 in. x 19 in. 69 cm x 50 cm x 48 cm Medium 32 in. x 22 in. x 23 in. 81 cm x 56 cm x 59 cm Large 36 in. x 24 in. x 24 in. 91 cm x 61 cm x 61 cm Extra large 40 in. x 27 in. x 30 in. 102 cm x 69 cm x 76 cm
- Click here for more information.