We know how much you care about your pets. Following the regulations below will help us ensure that the furry members of your family arrive safely.
Booking your pet
Here is some important information about shipping pets with WestJet Cargo.
- All live animals shipped as cargo must be booked and approved in advance by WestJet Cargo.
- Live animals cannot be held overnight at our cargo facilities.
- Whenever possible, WestJet Cargo plans to ship live animals on a non-stop or direct flight, however, we will allow live animals on a flight with a maximum of one connection.
- On weekends, pets may only be booked on direct flights.
- There are limits on the number of cargo pets per flight. Please contact us for details.
- Pets are not permitted in the cabin as cargo shipments.
- Guests must transport animals to the warehouse at least two hours prior to flight departure.
- Kennels must be made of fibreglass, metal or rigid plastic.
- Kennels with plastic doors are not allowed.
- If a kennel has wheels, they must be removed or rendered inoperable.
- A maximum of two animals of comparable size, no more than 14 kg each, which are used to co-habitation, may be shipped in the same container. Animals over that weight must travel individually.
- A maximum of three animals, up to six months old and from the same litter, may be shipped in the same container.
- A combination of pets is not permitted in the same container (i.e. dog and cat).
- The container must allow the animal(s) to stand up, turn around, and lie in a natural position.
- No water or food containers are allowed in the kennel, unless it is a spill-proof container, firmly attached to the kennel.
- The kennel floor must be solid, leak-proof and covered with a layer of absorbent non-consumable bedding material.
- The maximum allowable weight of a kennel (including the animal) is 160 lbs. (72.5 kg).
- Kennel doors must be fastened securely with plastic zip ties.
- WestJet assumes no responsibility for the care or feeding of pets while in transit, so it is important that you prepare your pet for its journey.
All necessary travel documentation, including required health certificates, must be completed before you ship your pet with us. Proof of compliance is required for all regulations required by the country your pet is travelling to, from or through. Failure to ensure that the required documentation is provided may result in your pet being quarantined upon arrival. You will be required to pay any additional fees directly to the authorities and your pet will be delayed. Additionally, any charges related to the care of your pet while in quarantine or the potential cost of returning your pet to where its journey began are your responsibility.
If your pet's flight stops in a number of countries, you must satisfy the entry requirements for each country. WestJet Cargo assumes no responsibility for inaccurate or incomplete documentation. For specific pet import and export regulations, vaccination and documentation requirements, contact the consulate or embassy of the countries your pet will be entering on their journey.
WestJet Cargo pet restrictions related to extreme heat:
The temperature in the cargo hold varies based on the duration of the flight, cruising altitude, speed, whether the aircraft is on the ground, and the temperature on the ground in both the departure and arrival stations. Extreme heat can pose significant risk to the health of pets; therefore, we do not accept pets as cargo from May 1 to October 31 on any flight from these WestJet Cargo destinations:
- Dominican Republic (Puerto Plata, Punta Cana, Samana)
- Mexico (Cabo San Lucas, Cancun, Puerto Vallarta)
- United States (Fort Lauderdale, Miami)
- Weaned puppies or kittens younger than eight weeks must not be shipped due to the possibility of dehydration during air transportation.
- Tranquilization of cats and dogs is not recommended, however, if the shipper plans on sedating the animal, a notice from the administering veterinarian must be presented at the time of tender stating the animal is in good health and able to travel.
Miniature 20 in. x 12 in. x 12 in. 50 cm x 30 cm x 30 cm Small 21 in. x 15 in. x 15 in. 53 cm x 38 cm x 38 cm Junior 27 in. x 20 in. x 19 in. 69 cm x 50 cm x 48 cm Medium 32 in. x 22 in. x 23 in. 81 cm x 56 cm x 59 cm Large 36 in. x 24 in. x 24 in. 91 cm x 61 cm x 61 cm Extra large 40 in. x 27 in. x 30 in. 102 cm x 69 cm x 76 cm
- Click here for more information.