Checked and excess baggage
From what to pack to how you can pack it, you'll find all you need to know about checked baggage right here. Looking for information on fees? Please see our service fees page.
- Travelling with or transferring baggage to our airline partners
If you are travelling with one of our airline partners, be sure to familiarize yourself with their allowances and fees, as they may be different from ours. These differences depend on the airline partner you are travelling with.
If you are travelling on a WestJet ticket that includes one of our partners, the baggage allowance of our partner may be honoured.
Please check your ticket or contact the airline you booked with for the correct baggage allowance.
- Booked with someone else?
If you booked your flight through a travel agent or online travel provider you may have a WestJet ticket but be flying with one of our partner airlines (who have their own set of terms and conditions). You may see differences in baggage fees and other service charges. If this is the case, please contact your travel provider to ensure you are aware of all applicable fees and regulations for the appropriate airline.
- Labelling your baggage
In spite of our best efforts, baggage may sometimes be delayed or go missing. Should this occur, one of the best ways to help ensure you and your belongings are reunited is to attach a tag with your name and contact information, clearly, to each bag.
It's also a good idea to place your contact information inside your baggage. You can place a business card or our WestJet guest information form in a visible spot.
- Checked baggage allowance
WestJet and WestJet Encore accept bags up to 157 centimetres (62 inches) in combined dimension (length + width + height) and 23 kilograms (50 pounds). Piece Fee Allowed on WestJet Boeing 737 Allowed on WestJet Encore Bombardier Q400 First May apply1 ✓ ✓ Second May apply1 ✓ ✓ Third2 ✓ ✓ ✓ Fourth2 ✓ ✓ ✕
1The fee and the amount charged will be based on the fare level purchased, where you are travelling to and from, and on the marketing carrier (the airline selling the seat).
2Third and fourth checked pieces are accepted on a space-available basis to/from all destinations except Jamaica or Trinidad and Tobago.
- Oversized and overweight baggage
Any piece of baggage exceeding the size or weight allowance is subject to all applicable oversized weight and size restrictions and fees.
If you are bringing overweight or oversized baggage, we recommend that you arrive 30 minutes prior to the recommended check-in times to allow time for screening.
Piece Details Fee Allowed on WestJet Boeing 737 Allowed on WestJet Encore Bombardier Q400 Oversized3 158 cm – 203 cm (62 in. – 80 in.) ✓ ✓ ✓ Overweight4 More than 23 kg (50 lb.) but not exceeding 45 kg (100lb.)5 ✓ ✓ ✓ Sporting equipment See our sporting equipment page for items accepted, packing instructions, restrictions and items which will not be charged an oversize fee. May apply ✓ ✓
3Guests travelling to/from Jamaica or Trinidad and Tobago are not permitted oversized baggage, with the exception of one golf bag that must contain golf clubs.
4Guests travelling to/from Jamaica or Trinidad and Tobago are not permitted overweight items.
5For baggage over this weight, please contact WestJet Cargo at 1-866-952-2746 (1-866-WJCARGO).
- Assistive devices
One medically required wheelchair, per guest, will be carried at no extra charge.
The device must be transported in the cargo compartment.
Braces, crutches, walkers and canes, along with other assistive devices, will also be permitted free of charge.
Please see assistive devices for more information.
- Cremated remains
• All cremation containers will be X-rayed. Documentation from a funeral home does not provide exemption to the screening requirement.
• The Canadian Air Transport Security Authority recommends that cremated remains be transported in temporary containers (such as those made from plastic, cardboard or cloth) as these containers are more likely to scan clearly and pass security screening. Please note: screening officers are not permitted to open a cremation container, and will not inspect the contents if you open it yourself.
• Containers that do not pass security screening as carry-on baggage will not be accepted as checked baggage.
• For more information please visit catsa.gc.ca
- Equipment for infants and children
Two pieces of infant equipment (e.g. infant restraint system, playpen or stroller) are permitted at no charge.
One piece of equipment for a child/infant (e.g. approved restraint system (car seat), playpen or stroller) will be permitted at no charge in addition to the checked baggage allowance.
WestJet only allows infant and child restraint systems approved by Transport Canada or the Federal Aviation Administration to be used on board the aircraft. For details on non-acceptable and acceptable infant and child restraint systems, please see approved restraint systems (car seats).
- Humanitarian aid
WestJet will accept one piece of baggage containing humanitarian aid per guest with the following restrictions:
• The flight must be departing from Canada;
• The humanitarian aid items must be packed separately from your belongings;
• The baggage item must not exceed the checked baggage allowance for the aircraft you will be travelling on, or the amount permitted to your intended destination;
• Baggage which exceeds the standard size and weight allowances will be charged the applicable overweight and oversized baggage fee(s);
• Please note: some countries have restrictions on the types of aid permitted. It is your responsibility to contact the country's consulate or embassy to verify permitted items as well as the guidelines and procedures for importing the item(s).
- Packing checklist
Do Do not
- Pack fragile items carefully to prevent damage, breakage or spillage.
Tag your baggage with your name, address and phone number. Tags are available at the airport if you don't have your own.
Ensure all items in your baggage are able to withstand shock, normal handling, vibration, changes in temperature and changes in atmospheric pressure.
Keep all loose handles, hooks and straps securely closed. These can catch on conveyors and belt loaders and cause damage to your baggage.
Make a list of items you've packed and their estimated value. If the value of your bag's contents exceeds WestJet's liability, you may wish to consider purchasing baggage insurance through your own insurance company prior to travel or purchasing excess valuation through WestJet.
- Lock your baggage. All bags must be accessible for inspection.
Leave your baggage unattended at the airport. It could be subject to tampering and/or theft.
Pack identification, jewelry, keys, medication and mobile devices in your checked baggage. These items should be taken in your carry-on baggage in the rare event that your checked baggage is delayed or damaged.