Fishing and hunting equipment
Boy scouts aren't the only ones who want you to be prepared. If you're planning to travel with fishing or hunting equipment, please review the information below. If your itinerary includes any flight operated by one of our airline partners, you should contact the other airline as their services and ability to accommodate you may be different.
- WestJet accepts equipment that meets the requirements for air travel. Please see below for restrictions based on your particular destination.
- The maximum length accepted for checked baggage is 9.8 feet.
- Fishing and hunting equipment is subject to all applicable baggage fees unless otherwise stated. Fees are combinable where applicable. For example, if an item is overweight, oversized and a second item, all three fees apply. View our service fees for more information.
Antlers and Horns
Antlers and horns will not be accepted in carry-on baggage. Containers for antlers and horns will be considered as part of your checked baggage allowance and must meet the weight and size guidelines. All applicable checked baggage fees will be charged.
As antlers and horns may be damaged or damage other checked baggage without proper packing WestJet requires that all antlers and horns be:
- packed in a leak-proof, hard shell container;
- completely free of raw meat, blood or noticeable odour; and
- padded (antlers and horn tips) to prevent punctures to the container and/or other baggage.
WestJet will accept one archery set consisting of a bow or crossbow, a quiver of arrows and a maintenance kit in checked baggage. This set will be considered as part of your checked baggage and must be packaged in a rigid and/or hard shell container specifically designed for shipping. All applicable checked baggage fees will be charged.
Firearms and ammunition
- While WestJet accepts firearms for scheduled flights within Canada and to/from the United States, regulations differ for some of our international destinations.
- Although some guidance is provided below for firearm and ammunition restrictions and embargos to/from some of our international destinations, this information may change or new restrictions/embargos may be introduced. Please be sure to contact the country of your destination for the most up to date information.
- You are responsible for ensuring that all necessary permissions, documentation and other requirements have been obtained or satisfied before travelling. WestJet accepts no liability in the event that your weapon is denied entry or is confiscated upon entry. Please contact your destination's consulate for further information.
- Firearms are restricted on flights to or from:
- Bermuda (BDA)
- Port of Spain, Trinidad and Tobago (POS)
- Each firearm item will be considered a piece of your checked baggage allowance.
- All applicable checked baggage fees will be charged.
Firearms acceptance criteria
- Firearms are permitted ONLY in checked baggage, and ONLY if the firearm is:
- WestJet will accept the following types of firearms:
- BB guns
- Starter pistols
- Air pistols
- Paintball guns (Please note: carbon dioxide cartridges/tanks for paintball guns will only be accepted if empty, with the valve secured in the open position. Please see restricted items for more details.)
- Ammunition must be:
- Securely packaged and packed separately from the firearm, however it is permitted to be transported within the same container.
- Carried in sturdy baggage not weighing more than 5 kg (11 lb.) gross weight per person (excluding ammunition with explosive or incendiary projectiles)
- Packaged in the manufacturer's original container or an equivalent sturdy, durable container that provides sufficient cartridge separation
- Tasers and stun guns
- Tasers and stun guns are prohibited for transport
- One fishing rod and a tackle box will be accepted per guest. All applicable checked baggage fees will be charged. The oversized fee will also be charged.
- Fishing rods must be encased in a hard-shell cylinder fishing rod container.
Perishable items including seafood
For information on packing perishable items including seafood as carry on or check baggage, please click here.