Government House

  1. Home
  2. Destination Guide
  3. Government House

Attractions

Commonly referred to as Fanningbank, this Government House is the official residence of the Prince Edward Island lieutenant governor. It takes its nickname from Edmund Fanning, the Lieutenant Governor of Prince Edward Island who decided the site's location in 1789. Construction on the residence was finished in 1834, and its traditional Georgian architecture has been admired ever since. Beyond hosting several royal meetings and events each year, the Government House welcomes visitors to tour the grounds and read up on its history in the carriage house. While it is only open to the public in July and August, school and guided tours are welcome year round if they are booked in advance.

Location:  1 Terry Fox Drive

Business hours:  Mo-Fr 10:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m.