Government House, Fredericton

  1. Home
  2. Destination Guide
  3. Government House, Fredericton

Attractions

The Government House in Fredericton was built in 1828 to be the official residence of New Brunswick's Lieutenant Governor. It remained a governor's mansion until 1890 when Lieutenant Governor Samuel Leonard Tilley declared the property too expensive to upkeep and the Government House was converted into a school for the hearing-impaired. The site has also served as a military barracks, soldiers' hospital, and headquarters of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police. In 1996, it was declared a National Historic Site for its colorful background. Today, the Government House in Fredericton is primarily used as an event hall and greeting site for the Canadian Royal Family and foreign dignitaries. Visitors will appreciate the landmark's palatial, Georgian-style architecture, notably the portico at the front entrance and rose window above the main facade.

Location:  51 Woodstock Record

Business hours:  Jun-Sep - Mo-Su 10:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m., Sep-May - Mo-Fr 10:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m.