Hunterian Museum and Art Gallery

  1. Home
  2. Destination Guide
  3. Hunterian Museum and Art Gallery

Museums & Galleries

Opened in 1807 with funds and artifacts bequeathed to the Glasgow University by William Hunter, this was the first public museum in Scotland. It was originally sited on High Street but in 1870 the university moved to Gilmorehill and the Hunterian moved too. Since 1980, the art collection has been housed in a separate, purpose-built gallery across the road. The permanent collection in the museum includes exhibitions on the Romans in Scotland, the ancient Egyptians, Captain Cook, dinosaurs and fossils, human evolution and a vast collection of coins and medals. The gallery is probably most noted for the collection of works by Whistler but there's also a good array of 19th and 20th Century Scottish art, works by Rembrandt and Chardin as well as Scotland's largest print collection. A gift shop can be found on the museum premises. Some parts of the museum may have an entrance fee.

Location:  University Avenue, University of Glasgow

Business hours:  Tu-Sa 10:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m., Su 11:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m.