Provand's Lordship

  1. Home
  2. Destination Guide
  3. Provand's Lordship

Attractions

Museums & Galleries

Situated adjacent to Glasgow Cathedral, is Provand's Lordship, the oldest surviving medieval house in Glasgow. Built in 1471 as the manse for the St Nicholas Hospital, the house is believed to have been used by Mary, Queen of Scots in 1566 during a visit to Glasgow to see Lord Darnley. Its name is derived from the 19th century, when it was occupied by the Lord of Provand. These days, it operates as a museum and houses a collection of medieval furniture and artifacts, spread over three floors. At the rear, is a tranquil medieval herb garden which is accessible to wheelchair users.

Location:  3 Castle Street

Business hours:  Tu-Th 10:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m., Fr 11:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m., Sa 10:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m., Su 11:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.