Iolani Barracks

  1. Home
  2. Destination Guide
  3. Iolani Barracks

Attractions

Located just a few steps from the Iolani Palace, this classic medieval fortress was originally built in 1871 on the grounds of where the Hawaii State Capitol Building is. Halekoa (as it is historically called) was the home of the Royal Guard of the Hawaiian Kingdom until the overthrow in 1893. In the post monarchy years, it was the headquarters of the Hawaii National Guard. It also served as an annex for government offices and disaster shelters. In 1965, the building was moved stone by stone to the Palace grounds. Today, the building is home to the offices for the Friends of Iolani Palace, a gift shop, visitors and ticket office of the Palace Grounds.

Location:  364 South King Street