Ear Inn

Ear Inn

Photo credit: Alan Levine

Bars & Cafes

This pub is one of the oldest bars in the city. The house itself was built prior to 1817 and is named after its owner, former slave and revolutionary war hero, James Brown. Mr. Brown originally sold tobacco to sailors before embarking on the docks right outside the door where the Hudson came ashore. Over the last century, it has lived a precarious existence slinging drinks due to developers and the constant maintenance of this almost two century-old house. The house is a relic of yesteryear and though the interior decor has changed due to zoning requirements in the city, there is history galore in the structure, as old jugs that date from 1870 and memorabilia are displayed throughout. Some locals still call the bar the "Green Door" due to the fact that before the "Bar" sign was painted over to show "Ear" and the door was the only viable moniker everyone knew. The place was originally a haunt for sailors, and several ghost stories are associated with the establishment making it something of a local legend. The kitchen offers the usual Irish/American pub fare with a few brews on tap. A true New York City bar, this is a great place to hang out with friends and enjoy a few pints.

Location:  326 Spring Street, James Brown House

Business hours:  Mo-Su 12:00 p.m.-4:00 a.m.