Royal Alexandra Interprovincial Bridge

  1. Home
  2. Destination Guide
  3. Royal Alexandra Interprovincial Bridge

Attractions

Built between 1898 and 1900, the Royal Alexandra Interprovincial Bridge spans the Ottawa River, creating a link between the Provinces of Ontario and Quebec. The central span of the steel truss cantilever bridge was the fourth largest in the world at the time of its construction, originally built to carry the Canadian Pacific Railway trains across the river. In the 1950s, the bridge was redesigned to accommodate vehicular and pedestrian traffic alongside the railway tracks, until 1966 when the Ottawa Union Station was closed. Since that point onwards, the bridge has exclusively catered to vehicular-pedestrian traffic. Located just east of Parliament Hill, the bridge affords an enthralling view of the Ottawa-Gatineau skyline, and of the Parliament buildings in particular. The Royal Alexandra Interprovincial Bridge is also notably an official part of the Trans-Canada Trail.

Location:  Alexandra Bridge