Government House

  1. Home
  2. Destination Guide
  3. Government House

Attractions

Museums & Galleries

Constructed in 1891 as the home and offices of the Lieutenant-Governors of the Northwest Territories, the Government House was a fitting abode for the seat of the local government. The expansive building was fashioned upon a stately Italianate design envisioned by the architect, Thomas Fuller. In 1905, the Regina became the capital of the newly formed Province of Saskatchewan and the historic offices continued to be used by the Lieutenant-Governors of the Province until 1944 when the maintenance of the regal structure was deemed to be an exorbitant luxury unsuitable for the political and economic conditions of World War II. Although slated for demolition, the historic Government House was instead restored to its former glory and was reinstated as a vice-regal palace. Today, the Government House hosts a museum and organizes cultural, social and educational programs for the community.

Location:  4607 Dewdney Avenue, Pioneer Village

Business hours:  Winter - Oct-Apr - Tu-Su 9:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m., Summer - May-Sep - Mo-Su 9:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.