Castillo de San Severino

  1. Home
  2. Destination Guide
  3. Castillo de San Severino

Attractions

Much before Matanzas was established as a city in 1695, King Charles II had decreed to build the Castle of San Severino (Castillo de San Severino) in 1684 to protect the land from pirates and raiders. It was only completed in 1735 by the Spanish who used African slaves to erect this fortress. From the 19th Century till the 1980s, it was used as a prison. Overlooking the Bahía de Matanzas, it is now the home of the Museo de la Ruta del Esclavo.

Location:  Avenue del Muelle

Business hours:  Mo-Sa 9:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m., Su 9:00 a.m.-1:00 p.m.