S.S. Klondike National Historic Site

  1. Home
  2. Destination Guide
  3. S.S. Klondike National Historic Site

Attractions

Before there were roads, the majestic sternwheelers that plied the wild waters of the Yukon River were the only connection Whitehorse had to the rest of the world. The arrival of the first sternwheeler at the end of the long and harsh winter heralded the beginning of spring with fresh supplies and news of the outside world carried aboard its decks. The S.S. Klondike was the largest of the fleet that was operated by the British-Yukon Navigation Company on the Yokon River between Dawson City and Whitehorse, ferrying freight between the two cities. The ship that stands at the banks of the Yukon River today is the second S.S. Klondike. The first was built in 1929 and continued to be used until 1936 when it ran aground while making its way across the Thirty Mile stretch of the Yukon. A large portion of the riverboat was salvaged and used to construct the second S.S. Klondike which was in operation until 1950. Today, the historic sternwheeler has been lovingly restored to its former glory and is open to visitors. Step aboard the ship and embark on a self-guided tour, or book a guided tour instead, to learn more about the role of the sternwheelers in the early development of Whitehorse and life on the riverboat as it navigated the treacherous waters of the Yukon. Although entrance is free, the self-guided tour brochure costs a modest fee of CAD3.

Location:  10 Robert Service Way

Business hours:  Apr-Aug - Mo-Su 9:30 a.m.-5:00 p.m.