Upper Fort Garry

  1. Home
  2. Destination Guide
  3. Upper Fort Garry

Attractions

Located at the confluence of the Assiniboine and Red rivers, Fort Garry was the trading post of Hudson's Bay Company. It was built in 1822 but severe floods washed it away. The fort was rebuilt in 1835 and came to be known as Upper Fort Garry. The fort was demolished when the city of Winnipeg came into being. However, some remains of the fort exist on which restoration work has begun. The fort was designated as a National Historic Site of Canada in 1924.

Location:  Broadway