This was my second trip to Tryp. The resort is very clean. The rooms and the grounds were cleaned regularly.
Checking in was a breeze. The receptionist with the pixie cut is the best.
The beach was wonderful, the staff makes an effort to ensure that the sea weed is kept at bay. There were an adequate number of sheltered beach chairs.
Pool was fantastic and cleaned quite regularly. The pool games were fun.
I actually quite enjoyed the food this time around. Perhaps it is the smaller selection of food, but items were well seasoned and very yummy. The omelette station was great in the morning.
Night entertainment was lovely, they switch it up every night. Unfortunately, the disco was closed but we didn’t feel like we were missing anything.
It was great seeing all the familiar faces and all the new ones. Steve, the lead animator, was lovely as per usual. Fidel, the server is the sweetest. I met Lucy, the assistant manager for the first time and she is super nice and professional. We met, Antonio, the lifeguard and we loved him too.
I’m looking forward to my next trip.
Pro tip: bring mosquito repellant!
Don't stay in this hotel - do yourself a favour!
Jun 16, 2022
Traveled to this hotel back in 2006 and was extremely happy about it, so we decided to go there again this year in the end of May... and that was a HUGE mistake unfortunately:( I strongly recommend Canadians to avoid this place and rather go to one of the hotels in Cayo Guillermo instead.
What we liked about this hotel:
- Beautiful beach and the sea! The water is spectacular, clean, transparent, turquoise, warm, just heaven! It was not crowded so we almost felt like we were on an uninhabited island!
- Great friendly professional bartenders who can make any cocktail you want and are always nice to you! Same goes to the maids, amazing, friendly, kind people. (but dont forget to bring a lot of change/cash, loonies twonies, five-dollar bills etc to tip them every time you use their service, as it's expected. We also brought a suitcase full of small "gift" for them from a Dollar Store like tooth brushes, tooth paste, make up, kids toys, pens, face masks, candies etc).
- It was great to get out somewhere after 2 years of isolation, so we tried to focus on good things, although it was hard to do :(
What we didn't like about this hotel:
- Rude angry receptionists, who were screaming at us and threatening us (I have everything recored on video!!). People at the reception ask for bribes and money for their pockets, they are not professional and forgot to tell us when our checkout was (apparently it's at 12 noon, we've learnt it hard way), and if you miss it, the receptionist is asking you $12 per hour meaning if you overstay for a day the room will cost you almost $300 per day - HALF of your whole trip to Cuba!!! Some grand rip off money scheme there! Make sure you check out on time! We ended up owing them $20 and because of that FIVE people were screaming at us at the reception, being super rude, angry, they threatened us that they'd call police, call the airport, that we'll ever leave the country, and they didnt allow us to get on our airport transfer bus even! We almost missed the plane and left this hotel with a horrible disgusting feeling! Thanks God two nice guys helped us and drove us to the airport!! Unbelievable. What kind of customer service is that. You just DONT treat your guests this way. Period.
- Food they serve is the SAME food in all the restaurant and buffet, so dont bother eating in a Chinese restaurant there for example, they bring you the same menu everywhere and you end up eating the same food as you ate last night at the buffer . Expect desserts like : old canned pineapple topped with grated buttery cheese, just gross.
- Lots of bleeding sick cats on the premises, who are hunting food and follow you everywhere, including the buffet space. Anti sanitary big time !!
- The hotel is very very old and RUN DOWN, the roof has a whole in it, everything looks shabby and sad:( Two pools had green water in them during the whole week.
- A lot of pesky mosquitos, we've used the whole bottle of the bugs spray just for 2 people, within 7 days! Dont forget to bring one!
- Had huge flying cockroaches in our room, so on the arrival back home we kept our suitcase outside a bit before bring them in the house, and washed everything that was inside to prevent infestation.
- The hotel was empty, most guests were from Cuba (rich Cubans), some disappointed guests from Spain and Argentina and everybody else was from Canada! So probably because of that the entertainment program was very limited. Young people and couples were really bored there.
On the plane and at the airport we've talked to other Canadians who stayed in other resorts on Cayo Coco and Cayo Guillermo and it really sounds like Tryp Cayo Coco was the WORST hotel to stay in! So just go elsewhere!
Go to Cuba with ZERO expectations, and just go there for a beautiful beach and the sea!