Overall I’d stay here again, went Feb 10-17,2024. I’m giving a very fair assessment hoping they’ll improve a couple things but it’s a resort we’d return to.
1) check in: easy and no pressuring for time shares. They try to get you to upgrade to a better room ranging from 2-400 per person per week. avoid the time share guy they offer 1 hour free massage or $150 room credit but you give them 2-3 hours of your valuable time.
2) restaurants: exceeded expectations. Breakfast and lunch buffets have plenty to offer for any appetite, always restocking. Servers are friendly, the Mexican restaurant is no longer an a la carte it’s a buffet for lunch and anyone can go for supper. You get 3 a la cartes and I’d highly recommend the smoke house, and the Japanese hibachi amazing. Ocean front burger shack and ice cream bar are close to the ocean as is the Mexican restaurant, the others are about a 5 minute walk from the ocean. You can also pay extra and get private dinners on the ocean front which is a nice touch. If you happen to be going during Super Bowl they do a superbowl themed tailgate style supper and the game is on a massive screen it’s cool and socializing with others watching is cool.
3) iberostar tucan and quetzel share the same beach, pool and restaurants. The rooms are on either side of this. Really don’t see a reason to pay extra for quetzel
4) beach: pros: this is a major positive. Having walked the beaches I can say that iberostar takes care of theirs. No seaweed, they sift their sand every morning at 630am. It’s pristine. Other resorts do not do this and the beaches have seaweed and garbage on the beaches. I’d say the best beach experience is iberostar at playa del Carmen. Even the riu resorts which are higher end do not have daily sifting. Another big pro is that on the beach and pool there are lots of cabanas that offer shade. Walking the beaches you realize this is an exception. Most others resorts are just wide open no shade, or a few palm trees. Big advantage to iberostar.
Cons: if you aren’t out at 630am claiming a beach front 1st row chair you aren’t getting one. Too many people not enough chairs means you have to get up early and battle for a chair. Pool is the exact same. If you get up at 830 thinking you’ll get a chair at the ocean or pool you’ll be mistaken.
Weird thing is they have an entire side for premium members, on the beach, that is not used. The whole week we saw about 5-10 people using this side and if iberostar cut it in half you could add enough chairs for everyone.
5) wildlife: so cool, monkeys were so amazing to see. They come right down to you and if you happen to have a banana they’ll take cautiously come right up to you . There are plenty of opportunities to see peacocks, and other wildlife.
If you’re booking a room try for the buildings closer to the ocean and pool as the monkeys will come right to your room deck.
6) rooms: pros: spacious, clean and the king bed was firm and very comfortable as were the pillows.
Cons: this is where I have concerns: 3 of 7 days there was no running water from 0700-0900 and you couldn’t flush toilets, run water or have a shower. 2 of 7 days there was no running drinkable water at the water stations on each floor. Be aware of this. It was a resort wide issue having talked to others. Management said they were having issues and weren’t sure when this would be resolved.
Activities: tons of activities at the pool and beach front from daily yoga and aqua size (7am ocean front and 1130 pool respectively) the other beaches you never saw morning yoga on their beaches. They really do go out of their way in this regard. They offer tons of activities at the beach throughout the day and there is a volleyball net on the beach.
Lifeguards: there are at least 2 lifeguards present all day, and this ks a bonus because when you’re walking the beaches you rarely see other resorts with dedicated lifeguards patrolling and actively monitoring. This is a big plus.
Feb 12, 2024
First of all, from the moment we arrived it was obvious this was not the Iberostar experience we had at other resorts of the same brand.
We are 3 couples who often travel together. During check in, we were told that one of the couples would be staying in the Quetzal side even though we booked the Tucan through our travel agent.
After we complained a bit and after some laborious computer typing, she was suspiciously able to find a room in the area we had booked…..BUT, it would be an upgrade of $40 a day (even though we originally booked that side) because it was a higher level accommodation. Out of the goodness of her heart however, she would discount it by 50%. Lol!
The next morning after a visit to the front desk and an unprofessional managerial experience it was obviously we were not going to get ANY satisfaction!
Later that day (Super Bowl Sunday) we noticed a man walking around selling “packages” to a special Super Bowl viewing. I believe the price was $70! No biggie because we had planned to watch in the SPORTS bar.
After dinner we went to the nearly empty Sports Bar . The game was on All of the TV’S the bartender was no where to be found until he came out and announced the TV’S would be turned off ( in a Sports Bar!) and if we wanted to watch the game it would have to be at the SB viewing party ($$$$).
We have been to other resorts during SB week and NEVER hand to pay extra to view it. In fact the had elaborate festivities, special drinks and food at NO extra charge!
Another oddity at this resort is at the pool area. There obviously is a staffing problem because there are NO poolside services. If you want food or drinks you must get them yourself, waiting in long lines at the bar at the beach unless you wanted to use the pool bar which is a separate stand alone pool only accessible through the pool.
So, starting day 3 of our 7 day vacation we are already very disappointed with Iberostar Tucan and will NEVER return or book with them again!!!!
This unfortunate because the staff are generally very good and congenital, but the management here are HORRIBLE!!!!
Iberostar Quetzal & Jaelli the supervisor!
Adventures to P... T
Feb 10, 2024
We are a family of five that decided 3 days before traveling to escape to Playa Car and the Iberostar Tucan. Much to our surprise, upon arriving at the hotel, their reservations dept. had our check-in date for Dec '24, instead of December ''23......a huge error (we booked over the phone 2 days ahead of arrival) Thankfully, Jaelli the evening supervisor at the Quetzal made sure our check-in and rooms were upgraded in compensation for this error. Thank you Jaelli! The hotel is great, not over-the-top luxury, but still, very nice, great cuisine, attentive staff and a la carte restaurants are a solid 8/10 I would return tomorrow if possible.
Feb 09, 2024
We got married here 16 years ago and are just as happy this trip with family ranging in age from 4-70. Always something to do and lots of relaxing places to do nothing at all. One end of the HUGE pool has music bumping and activities while the other end is quiet. The food and coffee are good, the drinks are always flowing and the staff is excellent. Everyone is smiling, kind and helpful. The fire show on the beach was cancelled due to wind, but the neon show in the theater was awesome. Our kids love the nightly shows. You can rent poolside cabanas for $43 and have them the whole day. Chairs are taken early but honestly it just was never a problem. The setting is literally a jungle with monkeys, peacocks, flamingos and more. We had a free photo session with the option to buy after so left with some great family photos. I cannot for the life of me figure out why people would complain! I’m guessing they’re just complainers in general because this place is great! :)
Feb 04, 2024
This resort is full of ways to scam you. Brandon seems helpful and delightful at first but he will over promise you things and under deliver. They serve fake bottles of Claze Azul (a fine tequila). With these two experiences i will never go back to an Iberostar resort
The resort itself was beautiful, Brandon was awful.