We had a wonderful stay at this hotel in Varadeo. Check in and check out were simple and easy. The staff at the lobby bar, beach bar, theater bar and the buffet staff were all so wonderful and attentive to our needs) The buffet had a good variety of food, the a la carte restaurants were all reserved but we managed to get a table at the italian restaurant. Very delicious but bring a sweater it gets very cold inside. The rooms are clean and well maintained, you might need to call a few times to get extra towels and toilet paper. Lots of fun activities for children and adults. We spent most our time at the beach (varadero beaches are always beautiful) very clean and organized. Last but not least the entertainment crew were simply amazing. They went above and beyond to get us involved and have fun at the beach and helped us take extra care of the children. Special thank you to Miguel Angel, Duniel, Baleri, Mara, Michel and Adisbel. You truly made our vacation unforgettable. We can't wait to see you again soon
Beware of the 5 stars reviews
Jul 02, 2022
Beware of the 5 stars reviews by BRAND NEW Tripadvisor members mentioning the same names over and over. I was approached by a staff member asking me to write a 5 star review right on the spot in front of him which I declined. To be honest at first I felt bad. He was just asking to write a review but I realized these reviews are messing the algorithm. This hotel should be around number 70 on the list out of the 96 hotels in Varadero, not number 16 in any shape or form. Also, read the 1 star reviews given by the British visitors, they are very accurate.
The hotel pictures and reviews does not reflect the current situation. I have been to Cuba many times before and I knew what to expect. This hotel served the same food as the 1 star hotel in downtown Varadero I stayed years ago when I was a broke student on a budget. This is not a 4 stars at all, this is a 2 star hotel.
During my stay I was never able to book the a la carte, they were already fully booked first thing in the morning. The safe in my room never worked, I had to hide my passport and money. The air conditioner temperature could not be adjusted, the room was either freezing or boiling. The room was on the 5th floor and there was only 1 elevator working. Since it was low season and such a big hotel, I asked to be changed to another room but no luck. They offered me a room on the 9th floor for an upgrade fee which would have been worse waiting for the 1 elevator.
The guests at the hotel were about 70% Cubans and the other 30% divided between Canadians, British, Portuguese and Chileans. Since I speak Spanish I can tell you by their accent that every time someone cut off line in front of me at the buffet or at the bar they were Cuban. Since I am Latino, I can tell you that their behavior was not impressive at all. Speaking of the buffet, nobody was wearing masks inside. If you haven’t had covid recently, you’re extremely exposed.
By the end of the first day I had already realized choosing this hotel was a huge mistake and I deeply regretted it. I am a RIU member but RIU has no hotels in Cuba. My advice is to try the Melia hotels in Cuba, Iberostar never again for me.
The breaking point was when I found out they wanted to charge me $20/hour in total of $120 to keep my room until 6pm for the late 10pm Sunwing flight. I thought it was a complete joke and disrespect to charge me $120 for 6 hours in a room where the maintenance issues were not resolved. I didn't want to stress myself anymore, so I booked a brand new return flight with Air Canada Vacations and came home 1 day early. I was a no-show at the Sunwing return flight. Not only I gave up my last night at the hotel but I also gave up my return flight with Sunwing. That's how much I was not impressed with the whole situation.
Hope this review helps, cheers
Jun 30, 2022
Charlie was the best host from this trip. He is so welcome and fun and made it more enjoyable. There is 1pm events that occur with fresh coconuts and grilled shrimp. Missed out on the lobster though :( I will definitely miss the beach, the water is so refreshing.
an interesting resort
Jun 30, 2022
Charlie was such a friendly welcome, he made us feel at home, he was so much fun!
the rooms were decent but they could be updated. what they say about the food is totally right, if you like flavour, make sure to bring your own spices, but it’s honestly no that bad. the cuban waters are what makes the stay worth it! and charlie lmfao
Review about Charlie!!
Jun 30, 2022
Came here with my friends for a girls trip and ran into Charlie! Charlie was amazing and truly the sweetest soul! So full of energy and lively! He will definitely brighten up your day! Puts on a great show with great vibes!