A statement from Alexis von Hoensbroech on Canada’s removal of travel restrictions
A statement from Alexis von Hoensbroech, WestJet Group’s CEO on Canada’s removal of travel restrictions
Throughout the pandemic, WestJet has advocated for health and safety measures that were grounded in science and data and were consistent with all consumer activities. Today’s announcement aligns with the travel policies of other major nations, reflects our industry’s outstanding commitment to safety, and recognizes that air travel is no less safe than any other consumer activity.
As Canadians and international visitors look to make travel plans, the long-awaited removal of all remaining measures effective October 1, 2022 will further expedite recovery for our industry and the Canadian economy. We are relieved our guests can finally travel with additional confidence and certainty, knowing they can make decisions that are the best for them, and their travel plans won’t be interrupted.
Effective October 1, 2022, all travellers, regardless of citizenship, will no longer have to:
· submit public health information through the ArriveCAN app or website;
· provide proof of vaccination;
· undergo pre- or on-arrival testing;
· carry out COVID-19-related quarantine or isolation;
· monitor and report if they develop signs or symptoms of COVID-19 upon arriving to Canada.
Transport Canada is also removing existing travel requirements. As of October 1, 2022, travellers will no longer be required to:
· undergo health checks for travel on air; or
· wear masks on planes and trains.