“The 737-10 will be a game changer, with one of the lowest costs per seat among mid-range aircraft. This will foster our low-cost positioning and affordability for Canadians. In addition, with its lower fuel consumption and reduced emissions, the 737-10 will further improve the environmental footprint of our fleet,” said von Hoensbroech. “Thank you to our Board of Directors, who endorsed both the business and environmental merits of this agreement. It reflects our confidence in our business model and sustained market recovery, as we emerge from the pandemic being one of few airlines at scale that have not drawn any sector-specific government aid.”
The WestJet Group’s fleet, with an average age under 10 years, is among the youngest of established North American carriers.
Features of the Boeing 737-10:
- Greater fuel efficiency and the best per-seat economics of any single-aisle airplane in the industry.
- Can cover 99 per cent of the world's single-aisle routes, ideal to serve WestJet’s growing domestic and international network.
- Reduced fuel use and carbon emissions by at least 20 per cent per seat compared to previous generations, helping airlines make air travel even more sustainable.
- Improved guest comfort with a quieter cabin featuring the Boeing Sky Interior, LED lighting that enhances the sense of spaciousness and larger overhead stowage bins.
- Quieter airplane, creating a 50 percent smaller noise footprint than the airplanes it replaces.
WestJet has a current fleet size of approximately 170 aircraft across the WestJet Group, with 110 active 737s. WestJet announced its strategic path forward in June, with the 737 as a key pillar of long-term growth.
WestJet 737 Video B-roll available for download here.
The Minister of Transport, the Honourable Omar Alghabra
“Today’s announcement by WestJet is exciting news for Canadian travelers and our national air industry as a whole. As we enter post-pandemic recovery, investments like these in sustainable and affordable air travel will ensure that our air sector remains strong. I look forward to continuing the work our Government is doing with WestJet and air carriers across the country to make air travel safer, cleaner, and more affordable for everyone.”