- Foreign nationals entering Canada are not eligible for a medical exemption.
- Foreign nationals travelling on a domestic flight in Canada must have supplementary medical information from a Canadian doctor. Foreign medical information will not be accepted.
2. Submit the completed medical exemption form to the WestJet Medical Desk a minimum of 14 days before the flight.
- You will not be able to check in for your flight until your medical exemption has been approved, and validation of your required valid COVID-19 test result has been conducted.
- Medical exemption forms will not be accepted at the airport, and exemption requests cannot be made through our call center. All requests must be directed to the WestJet Medical Desk at the email address indicated on the form.
- The Medical Desk's hours of operation are Monday to Friday from 0800-1630 MT; requests received after hours, weekends and statutory holidays will be processed as soon as we are able if the forms are received fully completed.
If the medical exemption is approved
If the Medical Desk approves the medical exemption, the guest will receive an email confirming their exemption.
The guest will need to submit a valid COVID-19 test to the WestJet Medical Desk prior to departure in order to utilize self-serve check-in. If you are unable to submit it in advance, it can be presented at the airport during check-in.
The valid COVID-19 test result must be one of the following:
- A negative rapid antigen test taken within 24 hours of the guest’s scheduled time of departure. The negative rapid antigen test must be administered or observed by a pharmacy, laboratory, healthcare entity or telehealth service. The test must be authorized for sale or distribution in Canada or in the jurisdiction in which it was obtained if the test must be performed outside of Canada, OR
- A negative molecular test taken within 72 hours of the guest’s scheduled time of departure. Accepted test types: PCR - Polymerase chain reaction, Nucleic acid test (NAT) or Nucleic acid amplification test (NAATs), Reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification (RT-LAMP), OR
- A previous positive molecular test result, taken at least 10 calendar days and no more than 180 calendar days before exiting and entering Canada. Guest must be symptom-free on day of travel. Counting starts the day after your test. The day after your test would be considered day 1.
All valid COVID-19 test results must include:
- Guest name and date of birth
- Name and civic address of the facility that administered the test
- The date the test was conducted
- The type of test conducted
- The test result
The guest must also carry their proof of a valid COVID-19 test with them. They may be required to present their test results at any time.
If the guest does not submit their proof of a valid COVD-19 test result to the WestJet Medical desk a minimum of 48 hours before their flight, they will not be able to self-serve check in, and will be required to present the test result to a WestJet agent on the day of travel at the airport. Please ensure you arrive a minimum of 2 hours prior to departure.
The guest will be required to complete the health questionnaire and symptom screening during check in, and will be required to present their valid COVID-19 test result to a WestJet agent at the airport prior to receiving a boarding pass.
The guest will be required to follow the current face mask policy.
The medical exemption will be valid for 3 months from the date of approval. The approval may be revoked at any time if requirements change.
If the medical exemption is denied
If the Medical Desk denies the medical exemption, the guest will receive an email and will not be permitted to fly.
The guest can choose to change or cancel their flight. They will be subject to the change and cancellation policy and fees for their fare type.
- If the guest does not change or cancel their flight, our no-show policy will apply.
WestJet’s decision to approve or decline any exemption is final and not subject to appeal.