Visited on our way back to Maine from Montana. Chose to stay in a hotel with some history and character. Fairmont is downtown in a great location. Room was small, especially the bathroom and parking is a pain.
Beautiful Hotel, but staff are under-trained and still recovering from Covid shut-down
Sep 15, 2021
(This review relates to a previous stay at the Chateau during August, not our most recent stay).
The hotel is beautiful, but the level of service does not match the nightly cost. The hotel needs to take time to train new employees on how to provide the quality of service we expect.
- We requested a crib which was never delivered to our room. When it was finally delivered, the hotel had no sheets except a new set which had never been washed.
- When calling to ask for bar-service at 10 pm, I was informed that everything in the hotel had shut down and no alcohol was available. I then went to the bar in person and picked up some champagne. The concierge staff should be fully aware of your hours and services.
- The quality of service at the patio was poor. The server was covering too many tables and my breakfast was poorly cooked. Eggs over-easy were still mostly raw. Other tables were making complaints and having great difficulty.
Great Hotel...perfectly situated
Sep 15, 2021
This is a great hotel worthy of a 4 1/2 Star (I bumped it to a 5 as there was no 4 1/2 choice). Everything about this place was awesome: the rooms, the ambiance, the staff, its location (close to everything)....we loved it. Many others that we were staying with (...we were there for a wedding) did have 'concerns' with the restaurant inside the hotel however which included: not best quality for the prices charged & lengthy wait time. I see countless places throughout the city with a sign "now hiring": although I don't know the situation with this restaurant. It seems since Covid, many restaurants struggle with getting adequate staff. As far as the hotel itself, I would highly recommend it. My wife & I chose to go off-site to dine, so I can't comment on the restaurant...was just sharing what other guests were saying.
Beautiful architecture but average hotel
Sep 13, 2021
Always wanted to stay here so we tried it for our Anniversary, you can beat the architecture of the building but room was average. The linens need to be updated, worn out towels and stains on the sheets, very disappointed for the price we paid. Very tiny bathrooms, you couldn't really unpack any toiletries because there was no room, and definitely only one person at a time. The staff we had contact with were amazing, although we only really slept in the hotel. It was a once in a lifetime experience but I wouldn't go back for the price we paid.
Charges luxury hotel prices, can't deliver the services to go with that price point
Sep 09, 2021
We booked a 2 night stay that set us back a bit more than 1,000 CAD$. I flagged in my 'special requests' that we're on a wedding anniversary weekend, so there would be two people in the room.
1) The parking facility of the hotel is a chaotic nightmare. We understood that parking isn't guaranteed, but there were endless free parking spots labelled 'Reserved'. Reserved for whom we wondered, for hotel guests? Given that we didn't know and there was no staff in attendance, we drove to a different parking lot, adding another half hour to our trip. The receptionist then told us that those were actually reserved for hotel guests. Time well wasted. Things went downhill from there.
2) The hotel, having been informed by us in advance that there would be two guests in the room settled on 1 bathrobe and 1 tiny bottle of shower gel. Clearly staff pay no attention to advance information provided to them by guests who actually pay attention to their automated emails.
3) On the second day our room wasn't cleaned. We somewhat expected the COVID excuse for the cut-back of services, but no, the call centre person told us that it's a lack of staff. Now, if you know that you don't have staff to provide basic services, why on earth do you charge luxury hotel prices? We have travelled extensively during the last few months, both in the US as well as Europe, but this terrible lack of service didn't occur anywhere other than at this supposed luxury hotel.
So we had to call, because whoever manages this hotel seems to think that one tiny shower gel bottle probably would probably do for two people for two days. The dirty coffee cups were not replaced pro-actively either, neither were the condiments. Unsurprisingly, after leaving a lengthy laundry list of required items with the call centre person, whoever delivered a plastic bag with the requested items managed to bring about half of what was requested. Again, it's worth keeping in mind that this hotel charges top $$$$ for this experience. All of this should have been provided pro-actively, no phone call should have been required.
4) At check-in guests are provided with two drinks vouchers that are useless given that the bar is closed and space in the restaurants was unavailable throughout a 2 day stay. All of this lack of attention just aggravates people (well, us).
We had been looking forward to this stay, but what an overpriced disappointment this has been. There's been a complete disconnect between the room charge and the services provided at that rate. It just doesn't cut it to say that certain services are unavailable with a vague reference to COVID, when these services are the most basic services guests can expect in a hotel operating at this price point. Nothing stops you from reducing your prices if you can't deliver those services, but it's outright bizarre to charge sky-high prices while not employing staff to deliver on reasonable expectations..
5) The room was actually lovely, the location is great, but stay clear of this hotel until services are restored.