Checked and excess baggage
From what to pack to how you can pack it, you'll find all you need to know about checked baggage right here. Looking for information on fees? Please see our service fees page.
Please note, we do not accept checked baggage fees via our contact centre. You will be able to add baggage on applicable flights through check-in online or at an airport kiosk.
One medically required wheelchair, per guest, will be carried at no extra charge.
The device must be transported in the cargo compartment.
Braces, crutches, walkers and canes, along with other assistive devices, will also be permitted free of charge.
Please see assistive devices for more information.
Checked baggage allowance
|WestJet and WestJet Encore accept bags up to 157 centimetres (62 inches) in combined dimension (length + width + height) and 23 kilograms (50 pounds).|
|Piece||Fee||Allowed on WestJet Boeing 737 or 767||Allowed on WestJet Encore Bombardier Q400|
1The fee and the amount charged will be based on the fare level purchased, where you are travelling to and from, and on the marketing carrier (the airline selling the seat).
2Third and fourth checked pieces are accepted on a space-available basis to/from all destinations except Jamaica or Trinidad and Tobago.
• All cremation containers will be X-rayed. Documentation from a funeral home does not provide exemption to the screening requirement.
• The Canadian Air Transport Security Authority recommends that cremated remains be transported in temporary containers (such as those made from plastic, cardboard or cloth) as these containers are more likely to scan clearly and pass security screening. Please note: screening officers are not permitted to open a cremation container, and will not inspect the contents if you open it yourself.
• Containers that do not pass security screening as carry-on baggage will not be accepted as checked baggage.
• For more information please visit catsa.gc.ca
Equipment for infants and children
Two pieces of infant equipment (e.g. infant restraint system, playpen or stroller) are permitted at no charge.
One piece of equipment for a child/infant (e.g. approved restraint system (car seat), playpen or stroller) will be permitted at no charge in addition to the checked baggage allowance.
WestJet only allows infant and child restraint systems approved by Transport Canada or the Federal Aviation Administration to be used on board the aircraft. For details on non-acceptable and acceptable infant and child restraint systems, please see approved restraint systems (car seats).
WestJet will accept one piece of baggage containing humanitarian aid per guest with the following restrictions:
- The flight must be departing from Canada;
- The humanitarian aid items must be packed separately from your belongings;
- The baggage item must not exceed the checked baggage allowance for the aircraft you will be travelling on, or the amount permitted to your intended destination;
- Baggage which exceeds the standard size and weight allowances will be charged the applicable overweight and oversized baggage fee(s);
- Please note: some countries have restrictions on the types of aid permitted. It is your responsibility to contact the country's consulate or embassy to verify permitted items as well as the guidelines and procedures for importing the item(s).
Labelling your baggage
In spite of our best efforts, baggage may sometimes be delayed or go missing. Should this occur, one of the best ways to help ensure you and your belongings are reunited is to attach a tag with your name and contact information, clearly, to each bag.
It's also a good idea to place your contact information inside your baggage. You can place a business card or our WestJet guest information form in a visible spot.
Military baggage information
WestJet waives baggage fees for active and retired Canadian military personnel as well as active military personnel from other countries. In order to qualify for this exemption, military identification must be shown.
Any military personnel travelling for business or personal reasons can do so with a maximum of four bags on WestJet flights and a maximum of three bags on WestJet Encore flights at no additional charge. We will not charge overweight and/or oversized baggage fee(s) for military personnel; however, baggage exceeding our maximum permitted size or weight will not be accepted as guest baggage and must be shipped via cargo (all applicable fees apply).
This exemption does not extend to:
- Current Department of National Defence (DND) public servants and their families
- Serving and former Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) and their families
- Other members of first-response agencies, peace officers, etc.
- Current staff of Defence Research and Development Canada (DRDC) and their families
- Current staff of Defence Construction Canada (DCC) and their families
- Current staff of Communications Securities Establishment (CSE) and their families
- Honourary Colonels/Captains(N), Lieutenant Colonels/Commanders and their families
- Former Staff of the Non-Public Funds, Canadian Forces with a pension and their families
- Former Staff of Department of National Defence (DND) with a pension and their families
- Family members of the Staff of the Non-Public Funds (NPF), Canadian Forces (CF)
- Family members of the Military Family Resource Centre (MFRC)
Oversized and overweight baggage
|Any piece of baggage exceeding the size or weight allowance is subject to all applicable oversized weight and size restrictions and fees.
If you are bringing overweight or oversized baggage, we recommend that you arrive 30 minutes prior to the recommended check-in times to allow time for screening.
|Piece||Details||Fee||Allowed on WestJet Boeing 737 or 767||Allowed on WestJet Encore Bombardier Q400|
|Oversized3||158 cm – 203 cm (62 in. – 80 in.) in combined dimensions.||✓||✓||✓|
|Overweight||More than 23 kg (50 lb.) but not exceeding 45 kg (100lb.)4||✓||✓||✓|
|Sporting equipment||See our sporting equipment page for items accepted, packing instructions, restrictions and items which will not be charged an oversize fee.||May apply||✓||✓|
3Guests travelling to/from Jamaica or Trinidad and Tobago are not permitted oversized baggage, with the exception of one golf bag that must contain golf clubs.
4For baggage over this weight, please contact WestJet Cargo at 1-866-952-2746 (1-866-WJCARGO).
Travelling with or transferring baggage to our airline partners
If you are travelling with one of our airline partners, the baggage policies of the other carrier may apply. Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the fees for your journey by visiting our airline partners page. Fees are collected on a one-way basis by the airline operating the first flight for each direction of your journey.