WestJet Rewards Program: Terms & Conditions
Effective Date: December 15, 2015
General Terms and Conditions:
- Thank you for joining WestJet Rewards®. WestJet Rewards® is a reward program offered by WestJet, an Alberta partnership ("WestJet") to WestJet guests who are members of WestJet Rewards® including holders of a WestJet RBC® MasterCard‡ or a WestJet RBC® World Elite MasterCard‡ (each, a “WestJet Credit Card”). The following terms and conditions (hereinafter “Reward Program Rules” or “Rules”) apply to WestJet Rewards®. By gaining access to, using this site, creating a new account with WestJet that includes enrolment into WestJet Rewards®, or adding WestJet Rewards® to an existing account, you agree to be bound to by these Reward Program Rules. WestJet reserves the right to revise or change the Reward Program Rules at any time and without notice to you by posting updated text on this site. You are responsible for periodically visiting this site to view any changes. By your continued participation in the Reward Program, you are deemed to accept any change or update to the Reward Program Rules.
- Qualifying Flight Spend – Qualifying Flight Spend is spend earned in connection with each dollar paid for WestJet Eligible Fares (as defined herein) on WestJet-Marketed Flights, purchased in your name. For greater certainty, Qualifying Flight Spend does not include spend on Partner-Marketed Flights (as defined herein), WestJet Vacations purchases, WestJet designated partner bookings made on westjet.com, taxes, charges, insurance or fees paid which are not specifically stated as Qualifying Flight Spend by WestJet, in its sole discretion. See section 7 for more information. For further clarity, Qualifying Flight Spend also does not include redemption of WestJet dollars or other reward program redemption. For details on earn rates, milestones of Qualifying Flight Spend and tiers and associated benefits available to members upon achieving the Qualifying Flight Spend milestones, see westjet.com/rewards.
- Qualifying Year – WestJet dollars are accumulated on an annual basis. The first Qualifying Year will begin on the date that you enrol and end on the last day of the month, one year from the date that you enrol. Each subsequent Qualifying Year will be the next 12 month period. For example, if you enrol on March 15, 2015, your Qualifying Year will be from March 15, 2015, until March 31, 2016. In subsequent Qualifying Years, the WestJet dollars will accumulate as of April 1st until March 31st.
- WestJet Eligible Fares – WestJet Eligible Fares are fares published by WestJet less any discounts. WestJet Eligible Fares exclude: reward program redemption; tour operator fares; charters; other carrier-marketed code-share flights; or WestJet Vacations group bookings.
- WestJet-Marketed Flight – A WestJet-Marketed Flight is a flight identified by a WS carrier code preceding the flight number and represents a flight sold by WestJet, which may be operated by WestJet or another carrier.
- Partner – A Partner is a third party with whom WestJet dollars can be earned on that third party's goods and/or services.
- Partner-Marketed Flight – A Partner-Marketed Flight is a flight identified by a two letter carrier code other than WS preceding the flight number and represents a flight sold by a partner airline, which may be operated by the partner airline or another carrier, such as WestJet.
- Partner Eligible Fares - Partner Eligible Fares are fares published by a Partner, less any discounts. Partner Eligible Fares exclude: reward program redemption; tour operator fares; charters; or other carrier-marketed code-share flights or vacation packages.
- WestJet-Marketed and Operated Flight - A WestJet-Marketed and Operated Flight is a flight that is both a WestJet-Marketed Flight and is operated solely by WestJet or WestJet Encore Ltd.
- Mileage Flown – Mileage Flown is applicable to Partner-Marketed flights only and is determined on the basis of non-stop distances between the airports where your flight originates and terminates. In the case of a connecting flight, Mileage Flown will be calculated on each individual segment.
- Companion Flight – A Companion Flight is a reward issued as a result of achieving certain milestones of Qualifying Flight Spend in the Reward Program. A Companion Flight allows a member to purchase a WestJet-Marketed and Operated Flight at the available fare and to receive the base fare for the second guest on the same itinerary at no charge. Taxes, fees and charges for the second guest are applicable and must be paid at the time of booking.
- WestJet Credit Card Companion Flight – A WestJet Credit Card Companion Flight is a reward issued in connection with activity with an eligible WestJet Credit Card that allows a member to purchase a WestJet-Marketed and Operated Flight at the available fare and to pay a reduced amount for the base fare for the second guest on the same itinerary. Taxes, fees and charges for the second guest are applicable and must be paid at time of booking. See westjet.com/creditcard for details on eligible WestJet Credit Cards.
- Flight Benefits – Flight Benefits are travel privileges made available to a member as a result of achieving certain milestones of Qualifying Flight Spend in the Reward Program. Flight Benefits may include the waiving of fees for certain WestJet products and services and access to certain airport privileges when travelling on WestJet-Marketed and Operated Flights.
- Membership in WestJet Rewards® is limited to natural persons and no corporation, trust, partnership, household, animal or other entity may hold membership in the Reward Program.
- You must create an individual account, only once, and use your name exactly as it appears on your government-issued identification. Minor children may register using their parent's email address. Applications for enrolment can be completed at www.westjet.com.
- WestJet Credit Cards are issued by RBC and approval of applications for WestJet Credit Cards is subject to RBC's discretion.
- Proper legal documentation will be required for any name change on your account.
- You must have a valid email address to create an account. The primary method of communication from WestJet to you will be via email.
- If you are an agent who is creating an account for an individual, you represent and warrant that you have the authority to act as an agent for the individual.
- You will be issued a membership number which will be e-mailed to you after your account is created. It is your responsibility to record and retain your membership number. WestJet will not issue membership cards.
- You must advise WestJet immediately of any change of address or email address by updating your account online at www.westjet.com.
- Upon receiving notice or becoming aware of the death of a WestJet Rewards® member who has accumulated WestJet dollars in WestJet Rewards®, WestJet will terminate the membership, the account will be closed and the WestJet dollars in the WestJet Rewards® member's account will be available for redemption by the WestJet Rewards® member's estate. A copy of the death certificate and proof of executor or administrator, satisfactory to WestJet, may be required. The executor or administrator must advise WestJet of who the beneficiary of the WestJet dollars will be and provide the beneficiary's account number (or a new account will be opened for the beneficiary if the beneficiary does not already hold an account). WestJet will not be liable or responsible in any manner for any tax consequences which may flow from the inheritance of WestJet dollars. WestJet dollars that have not been claimed as of ninety (90) days after the deceased WestJet Rewards® member's account is closed will automatically be cancelled and may not subsequently be redeemed, consolidated, converted, exchanged, combined or transferred. WestJet dollars will not be exchanged for cash.
- WestJet dollars are not divisible in case of separation or divorce.
- WestJet Rewards® membership is granted in WestJet's sole discretion, and may be withdrawn in WestJet's sole discretion with or without notification.
- If, in WestJet's sole opinion, you abuse any of WestJet Rewards® privileges, fail to follow any of its terms and conditions or make any misrepresentation to WestJet, WestJet may, in its sole discretion, revoke any or all of the WestJet dollars in your account and/or revoke your membership in WestJet Rewards®, with or without notification.
- WestJet will not be liable or responsible in any manner for any tax consequences which may flow from participation in WestJet Rewards®. You will be solely responsible for the reporting of any income tax benefits and the payment of any taxes.
- Account information will only be given to the account holder, the parent or guardian of record in the case of a minor, or a person designated by you in writing as defined earlier or pursuant to a court order or request from a government agency holding legislative power to compel such disclosure.
- WestJet dollars in an account belong to the account holder and not to the person or company who paid for the transaction giving rise to the WestJet dollars.
- Electronic account statements will be issued and sent to your email address on record, unless you opt out. The frequency of issuance of such statements may be dependent on your individual level of activity in WestJet Rewards®.
- Your account will remain active if: (1) there are unexpired WestJet dollars on your account; or (2) at WestJet's discretion, your account has had activity within the preceding 12 month period. In addition, WestJet may deactivate any account that has had fraudulent activity.
- Each year, you may receive an email asking you to validate your account. You must take the steps outlined in the notice to ensure that your account is validated and that you continue to receive correspondence from WestJet regarding your account.
- If there is any discrepancy between account statements, WestJet reservation system or any other source, WestJet Rewards® records are final, conclusive and binding.
Earning WestJet dollars
- Subject to all conditions in this document, WestJet dollars may be earned through eligible purchases made on the following: your WestJet Credit Card (as applicable); WestJet-Marketed flights; select Partner-Marketed flights; WestJet Vacations packages; or WestJet designated partner bookings made on westjet.com. WestJet dollars may also be earned by converting RBC Rewards® points to WestJet dollars through the RBC Rewards program offered by the Royal Bank of Canada. Some conditions and restrictions apply. Please refer to the RBC Rewards® Terms and Conditions at www.rbcrewards.com for more details.
- WestJet dollars earned through the use of a WestJet Credit Card will be awarded to the WestJet Rewards® member's account who is the primary cardholder of the WestJet Credit Card. Eligible purchases do not include cash advances, balance transfers, interest, annual credit card fees, and are net of returned purchases. The terms and conditions of each WestJet Credit Card will set out what constitutes eligible purchases for the purposes of earning WestJet dollars through the use of the WestJet Credit Card. See www.westjet.com/rewards for details.
- WestJet Eligible Fares on WestJet-Marketed Flights will earn WestJet dollars based on accumulated Qualifying Flight Spend. See www.westjet.com/rewards for earn rates and details.
- Partner Eligible Fares on Partner-Marketed Flights, whether operated by the partner or by WestJet, will earn WestJet dollars based on Mileage Flown. See www.westjet.com/rewards for eligible partners and details.
- If you are a member of more than one frequent flyer program, you may earn reward credit, which includes mileage, WestJet dollars, or other rewards, under only one frequent flyer program for each flight activity.
- For WestJet Vacations package bookings made prior to July 29, 2014, WestJet dollars will be awarded to the account of the WestJet Rewards® member who booked the vacation based on the total eligible spend of the package. For WestJet Vacations package bookings made on or after July 29, 2014, WestJet dollars will be awarded individually to each WestJet Rewards® member in a booking, and in each case, for that member's proportionate share of the total eligible spend of the package. Such proportionate shares will be determined at WestJet's sole discretion and in no event will the sum of all proportionate shares exceed the total eligible spend of the package. Eligible spend on a WestJet Vacations package includes base airfare, hotel, attractions, transfers and/or meal plans, but excludes all taxes, fees and other charges. WestJet dollars are not awarded on WestJet Vacations package group bookings.
- WestJet dollars will be awarded for a set percentage of the total eligible spend on the purchase amount of a hotel or car rental booking on westjet.com. Eligible spend is the total amount of the base rate of the booking made on westjet.com. Changes made at the supplier, taxes, fees, charges, or ancillary items are not included in the eligible spend for earning WestJet dollars. WestJet dollars are awarded to the WestJet Rewards ID associated to the purchase, regardless of who paid for the transaction.
- WestJet dollars will be banked to your member account. See www.westjet.com/rewards for details regarding WestJet dollar earning and redemption.
- WestJet dollars are maintained with Canadian equivalent currency. WestJet dollars and Qualifying Flight Spend are rounded to the nearest dollar.
- If you had previously enrolled in WestJet Rewards® prior to obtaining a WestJet Credit Card, the WestJet dollars earned through the WestJet Credit Card will accumulate in your established Qualifying Year.
- You may also earn WestJet dollars through other offers, promotions or incentives that may be offered by WestJet from time to time. WestJet reserves the right to make offers on specific dates, times or routes and to modify such offers, at its sole discretion.
- WestJet may change the basis on which WestJet dollars are awarded (including the rate at which Qualifying Flight Spend is accumulated and WestJet dollars are earned) at any time, with or without notice, in WestJet's sole discretion.
- Bonus WestJet dollars are also earned on eligible WestJet Credit Card purchases made directly with WestJet or WestJet Vacations. See www.westjet.com/rewards for details.
- Please allow 30 business days from transaction completion for WestJet dollars to be posted to your account.
- You must provide your member number at the time of booking. WestJet will consider requests to retroactively apply your membership number for up to twelve (12) months from the date that the flight or activity is completed, provided that you were enrolled in the program at the time the flight or activity was completed. You are responsible for providing all documentation evidencing the transaction within such timeframe. WestJet has the sole discretion to make any adjustments and WestJet's decision is final.
- Except as specifically provided in these terms and conditions, WestJet dollars have no cash value, and are not exchangeable for cash. WestJet dollars are not available for purchase.
Qualifying Flight Spend
- Qualifying Flight Spend arising from WestJet-Marketed Flight activity will be prorated amongst all flown segments on the ticket according to IATA prorate standards.
- Qualifying Flight Spend will be accumulated to the WestJet Rewards® member who is the individual traveller and whose name and membership number appear on the ticket.
- Combining Qualifying Flight Spend between two or more different WestJet Rewards® members is not allowed. Your account will only hold the Qualifying Flight Spend associated to your individual travel.
- Qualifying Flight Spend belongs to the account holder and not to the person or company who paid for the transaction giving rise to the Qualifying Flight Spend or WestJet dollars.
- Qualifying Flight Spend and WestJet dollars accumulated by a minor will be deposited in the minor's account. The minor's account and WestJet dollars may be administered by the minor's parent or legal guardian. Reward notifications will be sent to the email address on record (not necessarily the email address of the parent who purchased the ticket for the minor). In a divorce situation, either parent or guardian who wishes to challenge the email address on record will be required to provide WestJet with court orders indicating which parent or guardian has the legal right to establish the address of the minor.
- Only the amount actually paid to WestJet will be considered Qualifying Flight Spend . If multiple seats are purchased or reserved for one traveller on the same flight, only the amount actually paid to WestJet will be considered Qualifying Flight Spend .
- Qualifying Flight Spend will be updated once the flight has been completed. Please allow 30 business days for the Qualifying Flight Spend and WestJet dollars, if applicable, to be posted into your account after the completion of travel.
- If you are re-accommodated by WestJet, Qualifying Flight Spend will be based on the original eligible dollar value of your flight.
- WestJet may also offer incentives based on accumulated Qualifying Flight Spend in a Qualifying Year. Qualifying Flight Spend will continue to accrue in a Qualifying Year if earned in that Qualifying Year, even if any or all of the WestJet dollars associated earned on that Qualifying Flight Spend have been redeemed. Please visit www.westjet.com/rewards to find out more about the specific incentives and corresponding Qualifying Flight Spend milestones required to obtain each incentive. WestJet reserves the right to change the available incentives and milestones at any time with or without notice.
- Qualifying Flight Spend does not include purchases such as gift certificate purchases, car rentals, hotel bookings or insurance, other carrier-marketed flights, regardless of whether such purchases were made directly through WestJet.
- Specific details regarding Qualifying Flight Spend, the specific conditions for accumulating Qualifying Flight Spend and reward levels are available at www.westjet.com/rewards.
- WestJet rewards, which include WestJet dollars, Companion Flight vouchers, WestJet Credit Card Companion Flight vouchers, Flight Benefit vouchers, or any other vouchers, are personal and cannot be assigned, traded, willed or otherwise transferred except in accordance with these terms and conditions. Any assignment or transfer in violation of these rules will be void and may, at the discretion of WestJet result in the loss of membership in WestJet Rewards® or the cancellation of any WestJet rewards.
- You may transfer WestJet dollars to another member, subject to a transfer fee of $50 plus applicable taxes. You may use your WestJet dollars to purchase a booking for another individual so long as you make the booking on behalf of the other individual.
- WestJet dollars earned from flight activity, WestJet Credit Card activity under WestJet Rewards or conversion from RBC Rewards are available to be redeemed for a period of five years from the end of the Qualifying Year in which the WestJet dollars were earned. After this time, the WestJet dollars expire and cannot be redeemed except in accordance with these terms and conditions. You can choose to extend WestJet dollars that are about to expire one time for a period of up to one year for a fee of $50 plus applicable taxes. Such an extension must be completed prior to the expiration date for the WestJet dollars.
- WestJet dollars earned through promotions or contests may have a different expiry date defined in the terms and conditions of the specific promotion or contest. Extension of WestJet dollars is not permitted unless specifically defined by the terms and conditions of the promotion or contest.
- Vouchers and Companion Flights awarded prior to October 29, 2014 as a result of achieving certain Qualifying Flight Spend milestones in the Reward Program expire two years from date of issue. Companion Flights awarded on or after October 29, 2014 expire one year from date of issue. Companion Flight bookings must be made prior to the expiry date; travel may occur after the expiry date subject to flight schedule availability at the time of booking.
- WestJet Credit Card Companion Flights awarded from activity on a WestJet Credit Card expire one year from date of issue. WestJet Credit Card Companion Flight bookings must be made prior to the expiry date; travel may occur after the expiry date subject to flight schedule availability at the time of booking.
- Effective February 1, 2014, unused WestJet Credit Card Companion Flights associated with the WestJet Credit Card will automatically expire if the WestJet Credit Card account is closed.
- Flight Benefits awarded on or after October 29, 2014 as a result of achieving certain Qualifying Flight Spend milestones in the Reward Program are valid for the remainder of the Qualifying Year in which they were awarded until the end of the member's next Qualifying Year. Exceptions may apply when Flight Benefits are awarded to a member on a promotional basis.
- A minimum of 25 WestJet dollars must be redeemed per booking, unless you have a WestJet Credit Card.
- You may redeem WestJet dollars in whole amounts accumulated in your account at the time of booking against WestJet Eligible Fares on WestJet-Marketed Flights or toward a WestJet Vacations package. No retroactive application of WestJet dollars will be permitted. Unless specifically specified by WestJet, WestJet dollars cannot be redeemed toward taxes, charges, insurance or other fees. WestJet dollars must be redeemed through one of the following channels: www.westjet.com or WestJet call centres.
- Given the nature of the WestJet dollars, no blackout periods or inventory management apply for WestJet dollars redemption. There are no open-jaw, multi-city or stop-over restrictions.
- Once WestJet dollars are accumulated in your account, as described above, they are available to be used until such time as they expire as described in these terms and conditions.
- Companion Flights and WestJet Credit Card Companion Flights are issued in the member's name and must be redeemed for WestJet-Marketed and-Operated Flights. To redeem, the member must make the booking and be travelling on the same itinerary as their travelling companion.
- Flight Benefits are issued in the member's name and are available for redemption only when travelling on WestJet-Marketed and Operated Flights. Flight Benefits may be used by the member only, unless specifically stated otherwise. See westjet.com/rewards for details.
- Cancellations to bookings toward which WestJet dollars were applied are permitted, as per WestJet's standard cancel promise. Standard cancellation fees will apply. The WestJet dollars amount redeemed towards that booking will be reinstated to your account. The original expiration date associated with those WestJet dollars will continue to apply.
Program Changes and Termination
- WestJet may, in its sole discretion, terminate WestJet Rewards® at any time. Termination of WestJet Rewards® will be made by providing thirty (30) days notice.
- WestJet may, in its sole discretion, restrict, suspend, amend, extend or otherwise alter WestJet Rewards® or certain aspects of WestJet Rewards®, with or without notice.
- Where notice is given pursuant to any section of these terms and conditions, it will be via email notification and/or a notice posted on the WestJet website (found at www.westjet.com). Notwithstanding the foregoing, publication of the current terms and conditions on the website shall be deemed notice of such terms and conditions.
- All decisions regarding the interpretation of these terms and conditions and the administration of WestJet Rewards®, and any disputes arising there from, shall be resolved by WestJet in its sole discretion.
Limitation of Liability
- WestJet assumes no liability to you whatsoever, including without limitation, liability by reason of the termination of or amendment to WestJet Rewards® in whole or in part, limitations on the use of WestJet dollars or any change to reward levels.
- WestJet is not liable for the product or delivery of service of any partner, including the issuer for the WestJet Credit Cards.
- In no event shall WestJet's liability with respect to WestJet Rewards®, including liability for negligence or breach of contract, be greater than the WestJet dollars accumulated to your account at the time the dispute arose.
- Any waiver by WestJet of the strict observance, performance or compliance of these terms and conditions and any extension of time or other indulgence granted by WestJet, either expressly or by course of conduct, shall not alter, affect or prejudice any of WestJet's rights or remedies and shall be effective only in the specific instance and for the purpose for which it was given and shall be deemed not to be a waiver of any of WestJet's rights and remedies arising in respect of any other breach of these terms and conditions. No delay or omission by WestJet in exercising any right or remedy hereunder shall operate as a waiver of that or any other right or remedy.
- WestJet Rewards® shall be governed by the laws of the province of Alberta and the laws of Canada applicable therein. Any disputes regarding WestJet Rewards® or in any way arising out of membership in WestJet Rewards® shall be submitted to the courts of Alberta whose courts shall have jurisdiction to hear such disputes, or the Canadian Transportation Agency who can resolve disputes related to the terms and conditions of carriage set out in this tariff.
- WestJet dollars and special offers are subject to applicable government regulations and are void where prohibited by law.
Acceptance of Terms and Conditions