Pets are our guests too. Here's what you need to know to fly with your best friend.
- When to consult a veterinarian
- Conditions for acceptance
- Reservations and fees
- Entrance requirements for pets
- Before your flight
- Kennel information for carry-on pets
- Kennel information for checked pets
- Holiday restrictions
- Checked pet restrictions related to extreme heat
- Limits of liability
When to consult a veterinarian
For your pet's health and safety, WestJet recommends that you consult your veterinarian prior to reserving travel if your pet is:
- Pregnant or in heat (estrus).
- A snub-nose (brachycephalic or short-nosed) pet. These types of pets suffer from respiratory problems that increase with stress and heat, and therefore may not be suitable for travel.
Conditions for acceptance
- Pets that are less than eight weeks old will not be accepted for transport.
- Pets travelling in the cabin must remain in the kennel and be stored under the seat in front of you at all times. If you remove your pet from the kennel while onboard, you may be banned from travelling with your pet in the cabin on future WestJet flights.
- Pets that appear to be aggressive, unruly or in distress may be denied for transport at our discretion.
- All kennels are subject to approval by WestJet at check-in.
Reservations and fees
- Pets are not permitted on flights operated by our code-share and interline partners. We are also unable to accept pets on flights that we operate but were booked by one of our partners.
- For your pet's comfort, we recommend that you consider non-stop or direct flights, as well as early morning or late evening flights in the summer and midday flights in the winter.
- A pet may not travel with an unaccompanied minor.
- Space for pets cannot be reserved online. To add your pet to your travel plans, please contact us at 1-800-581-9499.
- A fee applies for pets travelling in the cabin or as checked baggage. Please note that an empty kennel or a pet in a kennel will be counted towards your carry-on baggage allowance as either a personal item, or a carry-on item.
- We strongly recommend requesting space for your pet as soon as you have completed your booking and a minimum of 48 hours prior to your scheduled departure. If you check in without requesting space for your pet(s) 48 hours prior to departure, you may not be permitted to travel with your pet(s) as we limit the number of pets permitted on each flight. WestJet cannot assume responsibility for pets that are not accepted for travel.
- To add a service animal to your travel plans, visit our service animals page.
- Pets travelling unaccompanied: WestJet Cargo accepts pets travelling unaccompanied on domestic flights only. If you wish to transport an unaccompanied pet within Canada contact WestJet Cargo for rates and information at 1-866-952-2746 (1-866-WJCARGO). If you wish to transport an unaccompanied pet to a U.S. or international destination, you must make arrangements through transportation companies and/or commercial businesses that meet specific shipping and administrative criteria.
Entrance requirements for pets
- We are unable to keep track of all requirements for all pets, and we assume no responsibility for your compliance with any such requirements. If you are taking your pet(s) in or out of any province, territory or country, you are responsible for meeting customs and/or regulatory entrance requirements.
- Entrance and documentation requirements are subject to change and may vary depending on your destination, the animal's breed and the type of animal (for example, a pet or a rescue animal).
- Contact your consulate, embassy or government authority to ensure your pet will meet the entrance requirements for your destination. If you are taking a round-trip, your pet will be subject to re-entry requirements at your country of origin.
- Pets may be denied entry at your destination (including Canada) if they are in poor health, and may be subject to a medical examination. Any costs associated with a medical examination will be at your expense.
- Most dogs (except puppies less than three months of age) travelling to the U.S. will require a valid certificate signed by a licensed veterinarian that:
- Indicates that the dog has had their rabies vaccination no less than one month before arrival.
- Includes the date of the vaccination and expiration (if no expiration date is stated then the vaccination must be no more than 12 months before arrival).
- When travelling with a bird, an import permit may be required and may need to be arranged in advance. You should contact the local country's embassy or consulate to confirm the import regulations for pet birds. There are also additional import regulations that require advance arrangements in order to return to Canada or the U.S. with a pet bird.
Before your flight
- Your pet must be fed and watered within the four (4) hour period before check in. Only feed your pet a light meal prior to departure and provide a quick drink of water before check in. Containers with food and water are prone to spilling during the course of checked kennel handling and transportation. For the comfort of your pet, WestJet recommends that you empty all food and water containers before transferring the kennel to WestJet during check-in.
- Exercise your pet before leaving for the airport. Some airports may require pets to remain in the kennel at all times.
- Please ensure you check in a minimum of two (2) hours prior to your flight time. You may be required to accompany your pet through additional security screening prior to proceeding through passenger screening.
- If travelling to or from the United States, we cannot accept your pet for check-in more than two (2) hours prior to the scheduled departure of your flight.
- Birds (see entrance requirements)
- Airline approved
- Leak proof
- able to allow the animal's head to stick out
- a duffle bag, gym bag or other type of non-kennel bag
- a hard-sided
A "Live Animals Handling Declaration" must be completed for a pet travelling in checked baggage. We will provide the live animal declaration form and sticker at the check-in counter upon request. Please be prepared with a contact number, destination address and destination contact number.
Your pet must have room to stand, sit and move naturally in the kennel.
Kennel information for checked pets
Pet types accepted as checked baggage
- Birds (see entrance requirements)
- Guinea pigs
Total # of kennels accepted per flight Three (3) on flights with WestJet
One (1) on flights with WestJet Encore
Total # of pets accepted per guest Six (6)1 on flights with WestJet
Two (2)1 on flights with WestJet Encore
Weight restrictions (pet + kennel combined) 45 kg (Up to 100 lb.) Size restrictions (per kennel) 91 cm x 61 cm x 66 cm
(36 in. L x 24 in. W x 26 in H)
- Be hard sided and have the wheels removed
- Be airline approved
- Be secure
- Be well ventilated
- Be lined with absorbent material like a towel
- Be secured with the device originally intended by the manufacturer
- Be marked with "LIVE ANIMAL"
- Be marked with directional "This way up" arrows on two sides, and should be marked with your pet's name
- Have food and water containers
- Have devices for lifting the kennel
- Have a ¾" protecting rim
- Have a solid bottom and roof
Kennel must not:
- Be made of welded or wire mesh
- Be collapsible
- Have a plastic door
1Two (2) pets of the same species (e.g. two cats or two dogs) that reside in the same household will be permitted to travel in one kennel.
WestJet will not accept pets in the cabin or in checked baggage at any time due to strict quarantine regulations on flights to/from:
- Antigua and Barbuda (Antigua)
- Barbados (Bridgetown)
- Cayman Islands (Grand Cayman)
- Hawaii (Honolulu, Kona, Lihue and Maui/Kahului)
- Jamaica (Montego Bay and Kingston)
- Trinidad and Tobago (Port of Spain)
- St. Lucia
- Birds of any type may not be imported into the Dominican Republic at any time.
- Endangered birds and the remains of extinct birds may not be exported from Mexico at any time.
- Pit bulls may not be brought into or travel through or from the Province of Ontario.
The following restrictions are applicable for pets travelling in checked baggage only, as there is limited room due to heavy holiday travel, which can pose a significant health risk for your pet.
Maximum number of kennels allowed
December 11 to 14 2 December 15 to January 6 inclusive 0 January 7 to January 10 2
Checked pet restrictions related to extreme heat
The following restrictions are applicable for pets travelling in checked baggage only.
The temperature in the cargo hold will vary based on whether the aircraft is on the ground (outside air temperature would then apply), the duration of the flight, the cruising altitude and the speed.
Extreme heat can pose a significant risk to the health of pets; therefore, we do not accept pets as checked baggage:
Annually from May 1 to October 31 on any flight to or from:
- Bahamas (Freeport, Nassau)
- Cuba (Cayo Coco, Holguin, Santa Clara, Varadero)
- Dominican Republic (Puerto Plata, Punta Cana, Samana)
- Mexico (Cabo San Lucas, Cancun, Cozumel, Manzanillo, Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta)
- Puerto Rico (San Juan)
- St. Maarten
- Turks and Caicos
- United States (Fort Lauderdale, Fort Myers, Las Vegas, Miami, Orlando, Palm Springs, Phoenix, Tampa Bay)
Year round on any flight to or from:
- Ixtapa/Zihuatenejo (Mexico)
- La Romana (Dominican Republic)
- Liberia (Costa Rica)
Limits of liability
- WestJet assumes no responsibility for the care or feeding of pets while in transit, so it is important that you prepare your pet for its journey.
- The limits of liability outlined in our baggage claim page apply to pets as well. These amounts are not automatically payable but reflect the maximum compensation payable, as each claim is subject to proof of loss.
- Consequential damages such as loss of enjoyment, loss of companionship, inconvenience, etc. are not compensable.
Additionally, you should not administer any tranquilizer or other medication to your pet before travel without first consulting a veterinarian.
Pet's travelling as carry-on must have room to stand, sit and move naturally in the kennel. Please be aware that if you are travelling with a cat on a flight where a guest with a severe allergy to cat dander is also travelling, we are required to move you to the rear of the aircraft to meet the Canadian Transportation Agency's Ruling to Provide Increased Protection to Persons with a Cat Allergy Disability.
Kennel information for carry-on pets
|Pet types accepted in the cabin||
|Total # of pets accepted per guest, and per kennel||One (1)|
|Maximum # of kennels accepted per flight||Four (4)|
|Size restrictions (per kennel)
You may adjust your kennel to fit within the maximum height available beneath the seat.
|40 cm x 44 cm x 21.5 cm
(16 in. L x 17.5 in. W x 8.5 in. H)
|Kennel must be:||
|Kennel must not be:||
WestJet Vacations package bookings
For guests travelling on a WestJet Vacations package, the following information applies in addition to the information listed above:
- Pets are not accepted at all hotels. Please contact the hotel directly for inquiries about pet acceptance.
- Extra charges may apply and must be paid directly to the hotel. Guests wishing to travel with their pets are required to contact us so we can ensure your pet is added to your flight reservation.