When your pet flies WestJet, they're our guest. Okay, so they don't get spicy snack mix or seatback TV - yet - but we do work hard to ensure your pet travels in comfort and safety. Tip: read this information to your pet an hour or so before check-in, in a low, soft voice - when it's time to fly, they'll be good and drowsy. Start with our general entrance requirements for guests travelling with pets. This document includes information every pet travelling out of the country needs to know, including what health certifications and vaccination requirements they need, and how to contact the agencies responsible for accepting them at your destination.
When to consult a veterinarian
For your pet's health and safety, WestJet recommends that you consult your veterinarian before reserving travel if your pet is:
- Pregnant or in heat (estrus).
- A snub-nose (brachycephalic or short-nosed) pet. These types of pets suffer from respiratory problems that increase with stress and heat, and therefore may not be suitable for travel in checked baggage.
Additionally, you should not administer any tranquilizer or other medication to your pet before travel without first consulting a veterinarian.
Conditions for acceptance
- Pets are not permitted on flights operated by our code-share and interline partners. We are also unable to accept pets on flights that we operate but were booked through one of our partners.
- For your pet's comfort, we recommend that you consider flights without connections, as well as early morning or late evening flights in the summer and midday flights in the winter.
- A pet may not travel with an unaccompanied minor.
- Pets that are younger than eight weeks old will not be accepted for transport.
- Pets travelling in the cabin must remain in the kennel and be stored under the seat in front of you at all times. If you remove your pet from the kennel while on board, you may be banned from travelling with your pet in the cabin on future WestJet flights.
- Pets that appear to be aggressive, unruly or in distress may be denied for transport at our discretion.
- All kennels are subject to approval by WestJet at check-in. See the kennel information for carry-on pets, or kennel information for checked pets section below.
- WestJet assumes no responsibility for the care or feeding of pets while in transit, so it is important that you prepare your pet for its journey.
- The limits of liability outlined in our baggage claim page apply to pets as well. These amounts are not automatically payable but reflect the maximum compensation payable, as each claim is subject to proof of loss.
- Consequential damages such as loss of enjoyment, loss of companionship, inconvenience, etc. are not compensable.
There are three reasons your pet may not be able to travel with you: holiday, heat and entrance restrictions. Please take the time to review all three to identify if this will affect your travel plans.
The following restrictions are applicable for pets travelling in checked baggage only as there is limited room due to heavy holiday travel.
Maximum number of kennels allowed
WestJet 737 aircraft WestJet Encore Q400 December 11 to 14 inclusive 2 1 December 15 to January 6 inclusive 0 0 January 7 to January 10 inclusive 2 1
- These restrictions apply to travelling with a pet. There are differences when travelling with a service or emotional support animal. Please see assistive animals for more details.
- Before travelling in or out of any province, territory or across borders with your pet, we strongly recommend you confirm each country's entrance requirements with the consulate, embassy or appropriate government authority. You are responsible for meeting entrance requirements for any country you are entering including the country of departure.
- Pets may be denied entry at your destination (including Canada) if they are in poor health, and may be subject to a medical examination. Any costs associated with a medical examination will be at your expense.
- To assist you, we have provided general entrance requirements for guests travelling with pets; entrance and documentation requirements are subject to change and may vary depending on your destination, the animal's breed and the type of animal (for example, a pet or a rescue animal).
- WestJet will not accept dogs and cats to, from or through Barbados, Hawaii, Ireland, Jamaica or the United Kingdom in carry-on baggage, checked baggage or as cargo due to their strict entry requirements.
- WestJet assumes no responsibility for your compliance with any such requirements.
- A designation of not permitted is applicable to both carry-on and checked baggage. If your destination is heat restricted year-round, your animal may be able to travel in carry-on baggage if all other restrictions can be met.
- If any of the countries on your itinerary include a note to see details, this means there are specific restrictions that must be met in order for your pet to be permitted to travel.
Country General entrance restrictions Heat restrictions Antigua and Barbuda See details Pets are not accepted in checked baggage from May 15 to October 31 Aruba See details Pets are not accepted in checked baggage at any time (year-round) Bahamas See details Pets are not accepted in checked baggage from May 15 to October 31 Barbados WestJet does not accept pets for travel to this destination. Bermuda See details Not applicable Canada
See details We love Canada, but sadly heat is not an issue. Cayman Islands See details Pets are not accepted in checked baggage from May 15 to October 31 Curacao See details Pets are not accepted in checked baggage from May 15 to October 31 Costa Rica See details Pets are not accepted in checked baggage at any time (year-round) Cuba See details Pets are not accepted in checked baggage from May 15 to October 31 Dominican Republic See details Pets are not accepted in checked baggage at any time for flights to/from La Romana, and are not accepted from May 15 to October 31 for flights to/from all other locations in the Dominican Republic. Hawaii WestJet does not accept pets for travel to/from Hawaii Ireland WestJet does not accept pets for travel to/from Dublin Mexico See details Pets are not accepted in checked baggage at any time for flights to/from Ixtapa/Zihuatenejo, and are not accepted from May 15 to October 31 for flights to/from all other locations in Mexico. Trinidad and Tobago See details Pets are not accepted in checked baggage at any time (year-round) Puerto Rico See details Pets are not accepted in checked baggage from May 15 to October 31 St. Maarten See details Pets are not accepted in checked baggage from May 15 to October 31 St. Lucia See details Pets are not accepted in checked baggage from May 15 to October 31 Turks and Caicos
See details Pets are not accepted in checked baggage from May 15 to October 31 United Kingdom WestJet does not accept pets for travel to Glasgow United States See details Pets are not accepted in checked baggage on flights to/from Dallas-Fort Worth, Fort Lauderdale, Fort Myers, Houston, Las Vegas, Miami, Orlando, Palm Springs, Phoenix and Tampa Bay from May 15 to October 31. Other U.S. destinations are not restricted.
- Birds of any type may not be imported into the Dominican Republic at any time.
- Endangered birds and the remains of extinct birds may not be exported from Mexico at any time.
- When travelling with a bird, an import/export permit may be required and may need to be arranged in advance. You should contact the local country's embassy or consulate to confirm the import/export regulations for pet birds. There are also additional import regulations that require advance arrangements in order to return to Canada or the U.S. with a pet bird.
Reservations and fees
- Space for pets cannot be reserved online. To add your pet to your travel plans,
please contact us at 1-888-937-8538 (1-888-WESTJET).
- A fee applies for pets travelling in the cabin or as checked baggage. Please note that an empty kennel or a pet in a kennel will be counted towards your carry-on baggage allowance as either a personal item or a carry-on item.
- We strongly recommend requesting space for your pet as soon as you have completed your booking and a minimum of 48 hours before your scheduled departure. If you check in without requesting space for your pet(s) 48 hours before departure, you may not be permitted to travel with your pet(s) as we limit the number of pets permitted on each flight. WestJet cannot assume responsibility for pets that are not accepted for travel.
- To add a service animal to your travel plans, visit our service animals page.
- Space for pets cannot be reserved online. To add your pet to your travel plans,
Preparing for your flight
- Your pet must be fed and watered within the four (4) hour period before check-in. Only feed your pet a light meal prior to departure and provide a quick drink of water before check-in. Containers with food and water are prone to spilling during the course of checked kennel handling and transportation. For the comfort of your pet, WestJet recommends that you empty all food and water containers before transferring the kennel to WestJet during check-in.
- Exercise your pet before leaving for the airport. Some airports may require pets to remain in the kennel at all times.
- Please ensure you allow adequate time to check in. You may be required to accompany your pet through additional security screening before proceeding through passenger screening. Recommended check-in time for guests travelling with a kennel is 120 minutes before domestic flight departures and 150 minutes before international flight departures You should arrive at the boarding gate at least 40 minutes before flight departure. If you arrive less than 10 minutes before departure you will be denied boarding.
- Please note that some locations in the United States will not accept your pet for check-in more than 120 minutes before the scheduled departure of your flight.
Kennel information for carry-on pets
Pets travelling as carry-on must have room to stand, sit and move naturally in the kennel. Please be aware that if you are travelling with a cat on a flight where a guest with a severe allergy to cat dander is also travelling, we are required to move you to the rear of the aircraft to meet the Canadian Transportation Agency's Ruling to Provide Increased Protection to Persons with a Cat Allergy Disability.
Carry-on kennel restrictions
Pet types (species) accepted in the cabin Birds (see entrance requirements)
Total # of pets accepted per guest, and per kennel One (1) Maximum # of kennels accepted per flight Four (4) Size restrictions (per kennel)
You may adjust your kennel to fit within the maximum height available beneath the seat.
40 cm L x 44 cm W x 21.5 cm H
(16 in. L x 17.5 in. W x 8.5 in. H)
Kennel must be: Soft-sided
Kennel must not be: able to allow the animal's head to stick out
a duffle bag, gym bag or other type of non-kennel bag
Kennel information for checked pets
A "Live Animals Handling Declaration" must be completed for a pet travelling in checked baggage. We will provide the live animal declaration form and sticker at the check-in counter upon request. Please be prepared with a contact number, destination address and destination contact number.
Your pet must have room to stand, sit and move naturally in the kennel.
Checked kennel restrictions
Pet types (species) accepted as checked baggage Although WestJet accepts the following pets in checked baggage, not all pets are accepted in all countries. Please see the entrance requirements section for more information.
Total # of kennels accepted per flight
(see holiday restrictions below for additional limits)
Three (3) on flights with WestJet 737 aircraft
Currently pets are not accepted on WestJet 767 aircraft
One (1) on flights with WestJet Encore
Total # of pets accepted per guest Six (6)1 on flights with WestJet
Two (2)1 on flights with WestJet Encore
Weight restrictions (pet + kennel combined) 45 kg (Up to 100 lb.) Size restrictions (per kennel) 101 cm L x 68 cm W x 76 cm H
40 in. L x 27 in. W x 30 in. H
Kennel must: Be hard-sided and have the wheels removed
Be airline approved
Be well ventilated
Be lined with absorbent material like a towel
Be secured with the device originally intended by the manufacturer
Be marked with "LIVE ANIMAL"
Be marked with directional "This way up" arrows on two sides, and should be marked with your pet's name
Have food and water containers
Have devices for lifting the kennel
Have a ¾" protecting rim
Have a solid bottom and roof
Kennel must not: Be made of welded or wire mesh
Have a plastic door
1Two (2) pets of the same species (e.g. two cats or two dogs) that reside in the same household will be permitted to travel in one kennel.
Pets travelling on their own (as cargo)
WestJet Cargo accepts pets travelling on their own. If you wish to transport an unaccompanied pet, please contact WestJet Cargo for rates and information at 1-866-952-2746 (1-866-WJCARGO).
WestJet Vacations package bookings
For guests travelling on a WestJet Vacations package, the following information applies in addition to the information listed above:
- Pets are not accepted at all hotels. Please contact the hotel directly for inquiries about pet acceptance.
- Extra charges may apply and must be paid directly to the hotel. Guests wishing to travel with their pets are required to contact us so we can ensure your pet is added to your flight reservation.