Special or additional seating for guests with a disability
WestJet provides special or additional seating without charge to qualifying guests with a physical or mental disability. Guest may qualify under one of the following two programs. We also accommodate guests requiring assistive devices for mobility.
The One Person One Fare program provides additional seating for flights only within Canada to guests who require additional seating:
- because they are disabled or disabled by obesity.
- for a personal attendant required to provide care over and above the care provided by WestJets' personnel on board the aircraft with regards to medication or using the lavatory.
The One Person One Fare program is not for guests who:
- are not disabled as a result of their obesity/medical condition.
- may want a travel companion for reasons other than a disability.
- only require a personal attendant at their destination but not in-flight.
The Medical Seating program provides additional legroom in specific seating areas and applies to all WestJet flights for:
- guests who cannot safely travel without special seating accommodation due to a medical disability.
The Medical Seating Program is not for use by:
- guests who require additional legroom due to height (which is not considered to be a disability).
- the companion of a guest approved for the Medical Seating Program.
To apply for medical seating you must have your physician complete the Medical seating for a guest with a disability application form and submit it to WestJet. Any charges incurred for the completion of this form will be at your expense.
- You may also request a form to be faxed to your physician by calling WestJet at 1-888-937-8538 and asking for the Medical Desk.
- The Medical seating for a guest with a disability application form should be submitted as soon as possible, and a minimum of five days before flight departure to allow for adequate review time.
- Although we will do our best to review submissions received with less than five days' notice, WestJet cannot confirm the form will be reviewed before your travel.
- Guests must have received and been activated before booking to be eligible for the reduced fare. Absolutely no refunds or compensation will be provided to guests who have already flown prior to approval under the program. Guests wishing to book the extra seat in anticipation of approval may do so, but must be approved before flight in order to obtain any potential refund. If the guest is not approved before the flight, the change or cancellation fees and guidelines for the flight segments reserved will apply.
- WestJet reviews medical forms submitted by your physician. We may contact your physician for more information before making a final decision to approve or decline your request. Decisions made by WestJet are final.
- WestJet approves or denies applications based on the medical information provided by your physician.
- If you are unsatisfied with some aspect of the service you received from WestJet, please submit a letter to WestJet Guest Relations outlining your concerns. Any additional medical information you feel was not presented or considered, can be submitted to WestJet by fax at: 1-866-737-1202. If you remain unsatisfied with the outcome of your application, please feel free to contact the Canadian Transportation Agency (http://www.cta-otc.gc.ca).
For questions related to approved and declined applications, please contact WestJet from Monday to Friday from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. MT by calling 1-888-937-8538 and asking to be transferred to the Medical Desk. Please note: the WestJet Medical Desk is closed on statutory holidays.
Reservations under the Medical Seating program are only accepted by calling 1-888-937-8538. The following restrictions will apply:
- The cost of your flight will include taxes and fees collected by WestJet on behalf of airport authorities and the federal government.
- Companion vouchers and discounted travel vouchers cannot be used.
- Guests must have received and have active approval under the program to be eligible for the reduced fare. If you choose to reserve travel in anticipation approval under the OPOF program, please be aware that if approval is not received before the scheduled flight, the change and cancellation fees and guidelines for the itinerary purchased will apply.
- Absolutely no refunds or compensation will be provided to guests who have already flown prior to approval under the program. All travel must be completed before the end of the approval period.
- Flights reserved through westjet.com, travel agencies, online booking engines (Expedia or Travelocity, for example) or other booking methods cannot be used for OPOF bookings. Reservations booked via any other method will be cancelled and either refunded to the original form of payment (if cancelled within 24 hours of booking) or placed in a Travel Bank credit based on the fare type purchased. Any subsequent booking will be made at the available fare level which may be higher than the fare originally purchased.
A seatbelt must be worn during take-off and landing, and at any time the "fasten seatbelt" sign is illuminated. We provide seatbelt extenders at no charge; just ask one of our friendly inflight team members and one will be brought to you. Although some seatbelt extenders are currently being sold publicly, these items are not approved for use on WestJet aircraft and may not be used on our flights. Due to safety reasons, guests may not select an emergency exit row seat if they require a seatbelt extender.