Special or additional seating for guests with a disability
WestJet transports assistive devices, free of charge, for guests requiring mobility aid. We also provide special or additional seating, without charge, to qualifying guests with a physical or mental disability. Guests may qualify under the following two programs:
The One Person One Fare (OPOF) program provides additional seating for flights only within Canada to guests who require additional seating:
- because they are disabled or disabled by obesity.
- for a personal attendant required to provide care over and above the care provided by WestJet's personnel on board the aircraft with regards to medication or using the lavatory.
The One Person One Fare program is not for guests who:
- are not disabled as a result of their obesity/medical condition.
- may want a travel companion for reasons other than a disability.
- only require a personal attendant at their destination but not in-flight.
- are travelling on a WestJet Vacations package.
The Medical Seating program provides additional legroom in specific seating areas and applies to all WestJet flights for:
- guests who cannot safely travel without special seating accommodation due to a medical disability.
The Medical Seating Program is not for use by:
- guests who require additional legroom due to height (which is not considered to be a disability).
- the companion(s) of a guest approved for the Medical Seating Program.
To apply for special or additional seating you must have your physician complete the Medical seating for a guest with a disability application form and submit it to WestJet. Any charges incurred for the completion of this form will be at your expense.
- You may also request a form to be faxed to your physician by calling WestJet at 1-888-937-8538 and asking for the Medical Desk.
- The Medical seating for a guest with a disability application form should be submitted as soon as possible, and a minimum of five days before flight departure to allow for adequate review time.
- Although we will do our best to review submissions received with less than five days' notice, WestJet cannot confirm the form will be reviewed before your travel.
- Guests must have received approval and been activated before booking to be eligible for the reduced fare. Absolutely no refunds or compensation will be provided to guests who have already flown prior to approval under the program. Guests wishing to book the extra seat in anticipation of approval may do so, but must be approved before flight in order to obtain any potential refund. If the guest is not approved before the flight, the change or cancellation fees and guidelines for the flight segments reserved will apply.
WestJet reviews medical forms submitted by your physician and approves or denies your application based on this information. We may contact your physician for more information before making a final decision to approve or decline your request. Any additional medical information you feel was not presented or considered, can be submitted to WestJet by fax at: 1-866-737-1202. Decisions made by WestJet are final.
If you are unsatisfied with some aspect of the service you received from WestJet, please submit a letter to WestJet Guest Relations outlining your concerns. If you remain unsatisfied with the outcome of your application, please feel free to contact the Canadian Transportation Agency (http://www.cta-otc.gc.ca).
For questions related to approved and declined applications, you may contact WestJet from Monday to Friday from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. MT by calling 1-888-937-8538 and asking to be transferred to the Medical Desk. Please note: the WestJet Medical Desk is closed on statutory holidays.
The following restrictions will apply:
- Reservations for the One Person One Fare program must be made by calling 1-888-937-8538. Reservations booked using any other method will be cancelled and managed according to the fare type purchased . Any subsequent booking will be made at the available fare level which may be higher than the fare originally purchased.
- Although we do not charge a fare for an additional seat for your attendant within the One Person One Fare program, we are required to collect all applicable taxes and fees on behalf of airport authorities and the federal government. If you have reserved additional space for yourself within the One Person One Fare program, no additional taxes or fees will be charged.
- Medical seating can be added to reservations made through westjet.com, travel agencies or online booking engines (Expedia or Travelocity, for example). Changes to your booking must be made by calling WestJet at 1-888-937-8538, regardless of where the original booking was made.
- Companion vouchers and discounted travel vouchers cannot be used.
- Guests must have received and have active approval under the applicable program to be eligible for the reduced fare or special seating. All travel must be completed before the end of the approval period.
- If you choose to reserve travel in anticipation of approval under either the OPOF program or the Medical Seating program, please be aware that if approval is not received before the scheduled flight, the fees and guidelines for the itinerary purchased will apply.
- Absolutely no refunds or compensation will be provided to guests who have flown before approval under either program.
A seatbelt must be worn during take-off and landing, and at any time the "fasten seatbelt" sign is illuminated. We provide seatbelt extenders at no charge; just ask one of our friendly inflight team members and one will be brought to you. Although some seatbelt extenders are currently being sold publicly, these items are not approved for use on WestJet aircraft and may not be used on our flights. Due to safety reasons, guests may not select an emergency exit row seat if they require a seatbelt extender.