Request a humanitarian baggage waiver
WestJet accepts waiver requests baggage and live animals for humanitarian purposes from registered charitable organizations only. All guests applying for the excess baggage waiver must be identified by the charity in their affiliation letter. Application requests will only be accepted greater than 7 days prior to departure date and with a confirmed flight reservation. If the request is not approved in advance, baggage fee(s) will apply at the airport.
WestJet is able to assist with humanitarian baggage waivers on flights operated by WestJet, WestJet Encore and WestJet Link only. To be approved, your travel itinerary must begin on a WestJet scheduled flight. If your booking includes other airlines or codeshare flights, you must obtain authorization for an excess baggage waiver from each respective airline.
If approved, WestJet will accept one piece of baggage containing humanitarian aid per guest with the following restrictions:
- Waivers will only be considered on the outbound flight(s). Any excess baggage on a return flight will be subject to applicable fees.
- Extra baggage must meet standard size and weight restrictions.
- Baggage which exceeds the standard size and weight allowances will be charged the applicable overweight and oversized baggage fee(s).
- Please note that there is a maximum number of pets allowed per aircraft due to multiple factors, including but not limited to, aircraft type, flight duration, weight and balance, etc.
- Waivers will only be considered on the inbound flight(s).
- Empty crates/kennels are considered a piece of baggage and fee(s) apply.
- WestJet will only transport a dog or cat.
- Any excess baggage on a return flight will be subject to applicable fees.
- Pet remains will not be considered.
Some countries may have restrictions on the types of aid permitted. It is your responsibility to contact the country’s consulate or embassy to verify permitted items as well as the guidelines and procedures for importing the item(s). Requests for dangerous goods will not be accepted.
Embargoes and restrictions may be in effect restricting the safe transportation of animals. Guests are responsible for ensuring all entry requirements for their destination are met before transporting an animal.
If your request is approved, you will receive email confirmation a minimum of 5 days prior to your departure.