Travel to the United States – Electronic Travel Systems Authorization (ESTA)
Travelling to the United States by air and you are a foreign traveler who does not require a visa to travel to the United States, please visit https://www.cbp.gov/travel/international-visitors/esta to find out how to apply online for an Electronic Travel Systems Authorization (ESTA) at least 72 hours prior to travel. Applicants who apply on the same day of their flight’s departure risk not having an approved ESTA prior to their scheduled departure. Canadian Citizens do not require an Electronic Travel Systems Authorization for travel to the United States.
Secure Flight Program
Airlines are required to submit specific information to the U.S. Transportation Security Administration (TSA) for all guests travelling to, from or over the continental U.S. (excluding flights between two Canadian locations). The following information must be submitted 72 hours before travel or at the time of booking for bookings made less than 72 hours before flight departure:
- name (as it appears on the government-issued ID that will be used when travelling)
- date of birth
- redress number (if applicable)
- known traveller number (if applicable)
For more information, please refer to the TSA's website regarding the Secure Flight Program.
U.S. Customs and Border Protections (CBP)
U.S. CBP is required to collect the following information from persons entering the U.S.:
- Full name
- Date of birth
- Passport number
- Passport country of issuance
- Passport expiration date
- Country of residence
- Your address while in the U.S.
Note: Address information is not required of U.S. citizens and legal U.S. Permanent Residents (who must provide their alien registration number).
- is an expedited security screening program that connects travellers departing from specific airports within the U.S. with smarter security and a better travel experience. TSA Pre✔® helps take the stress out of travel with no need to remove shoes, laptops, liquids, belts or light jackets.
- uses a risk-based, intelligence-driven approach to provide the most effective security in the most efficient way.
- travellers who have passed the TSA Pre✔®/ NEXUS or Global Entry vetting requirements become trusted travellers and receive expedited security screening.
With TSA Pre✔®
- dedicated security lane
- expedited airport security screening
- no removal of belts, shoes, light jackets, bag of liquids, gels and aerosols (100 ml limit) from carry-on, laptops
Guests with TSA Pre✔®
To obtain a boarding pass with TSA Pre✔®, please enter your Known Traveler Number (KTN) during web, mobile, kiosk check-in or at a WestJet guest assistance counter at the U.S. departure station. If eligible, you will receive the TSA Pre✔® indicator on your boarding pass and you can head straight to the TSA Pre✔® security checkpoint.