Strategically located in the sleepy and bohemian fishing village of Puerto Morelos, The Fives Oceanfront is a property specially designed to cater to travelers who want to skip the crowds, offering a more relaxed and laid-back atmosphere of fun, adventure, and peacefulness. Offering you transformative experiences allowing you to get in touch with nature, local culture, and slowing yourself down, making for more environmentally sustainable and fulfilling travel. The Fives Oceanfront - Puerto Morelos, offers spacious rooms and suites in an authentic and contemporary retreat for travelers to experience this beach village's natural beauty.
It has potential but we won’t be back, unfortunately
Jul 25, 2021
I’ll start with the positives:
- the ocean view is amazing
- the pools are great, although the chairs are limited
- the decor is very nice and stylish
- the rooms are very clean and the water pressure in the showers are great
- the beach cabana set up is very nice
- some of the servers were very nice
The not-so-good stuff:
- the beach was un-usable due to the sargassum seaweed and smelled horrible. I know this isn’t the hotels “fault” but just be advised that you can’t use the beach.
- the jacuzzi in our room didn’t work. The water trickled out of the faucet and the hot water didn’t work at all. We called three times and talked to (complained to) the front desk even more but they still couldn’t fix it, or maybe they didn’t care to fix it since we kept turning down the sales presentation.
- the sales presentation ambassadors were so incredibly pushy that it was uncomfortable to walk through the lobby because you didn’t want them to ambush you each time asking to schedule the presentation. We actually hated walking through there because we knew that they would almost always stop us.
- the bed was so firm that it was like sleeping on a board.
- the COVID test scheduling was a joke. They give you a link to schedule your test, cool! So we go on and schedule it for 8am since we were heading to Cozumel for the entire day. We get there at 8am and are told that they don’t start the tests until 9:45am. Since it was our last day, we had no choice but to wait. Our test was finally completed at 10am… this meant that we had to catch a ride to Playa del Carmen, wait in the extremely long line for the Cozumel ferry, and ride there. We didn’t get to the island until 1pm, to our beach club reservation until 2pm, enjoyed three hours of the beach that we paid (to use for our anniversary), and then it closed at 5pm. So… don’t plan on scheduling your test on the link and having it work out as planned.
- the food at the RoMarley restaurant is over-priced and mediocre. One of the evenings I ordered the seafood paella and it made me sick. The drinks are also not very well made.
- when you check-in, they make you pay a $700 deposit. Fingers crossed that I get this back since it takes “48-72 hours after you check out” to be deposited back.
- there’s a kitchenette in the room but don’t plan on using it because they don’t provide you with any pots, pans, silverware, plates, etc. We even asked twice to have something to cook with and they brought us silverware only. So they don’t have this available to you.
- the music was sometimes pretty hard to listen to (especially the live rock band) and the music was definitely not for children at times. And this was in the restaurant and pools.
- they only provide you with two packages of coffee to make in your room and don’t replenish it. So don’t plan on a fresh cup on your balcony unless you go down and get one from the lobby.
All in all, it’s a beautiful property and has potential but we won’t be back due to the very uncomfortable pushiness of the sales pitch staff to buy into the property and all of the above that I’ve mentioned.
Most relaxing time ever!
Jul 23, 2021
We spent two glorious weeks at The Fives in Puerto Morelos and it was the most relaxing time ever! Check in was a breeze! The staff couldn’t be friendlier and more helpful.
The accommodations are modern, stylish and clean. I love that it’s a smaller property so everything is super easy to get to from the restaurant to the pools. Did I mention there’s a rooftop pool with a view that is amazing!? There’s a themed dinner menu and planned events from live music, to pool parties, to pizza parties. We were surprised by a foam party on the rooftop pool one evening with a DJ! Super cool!
The food at the RoMarley Beach House restaurant is very good, however the menu is somewhat limited, but there are dozens of excellent restaurants a five minute taxi ride or a 15 minute walk away. We went into town every single day to explore a new local restaurant.
I absolutely love the charm of the town of Puerto Morelos. There is what appears to be a brand new grocery store that reminds me of the Whole Foods in the US. We stocked up on fruit, water, and other items for our room.
There is a coffee maker in the room, but we ended up getting complimentary coffee from the lobby every morning. Excellent! We sent a bag full of clothes out for laundering. It was returned the next day for 108 pesos. Wi-Fi was great with a strong signal, and I had no problem using it to do a little work in the room, on my patio, and by the pool.
The weather was incredibly mild and breezy for July. Sitting by the pool or beach, looking out over the ocean is my favorite thing. Spa service is scheduled for tomorrow, and I am sure it is going to be amazing.
Most of the Yucatán peninsula (Cancun, playa del Carmen, puerto Morelos) is experiencing record amounts of seaweed right now so we didn’t go into the ocean near the resort, but we spent a day in Cozumel snorkeling and swimming in the impossibly blue clear water. The concierge at The Fives will be happy to set this up for you.
This property is made for relaxing and de-stressing and it will be difficult for me to go back to the typical large resort experience.
I literally cannot think of one thing that I would change about this experience.