Additional seating for guests with special needs
Special or additional seating is available at no charge to guests with a physical or mental disability who require:
- a personal attendant to provide help with meals, medication, use of the toilet or to assist the person with a disability who is unable to assist themselves in an emergency evacuation or in the event of decompression;
- additional seating to accommodate their disability (including obesity).
The two programs included in this application are:
- The One Person One Fare program which applies only to domestic flights within Canada;
- The Medical Seating Program which applies to all WestJet flights.
Please note: this program does not apply to guests who:
- are not disabled as a result of their obesity;
- may want a travel companion for reasons other than a disability;
- only require a personal attendant at their destination but not in-flight;
- wish to have extra legroom for comfort purposes but otherwise have no medical barriers restricting them from regular seating.
To be eligible for additional seating, guests must apply and have their application reviewed.
To apply for special seating you must have the WestJet application form completed by your physician and submitted to WestJet. Any charges incurred for the completion of this form will be at your expense.
- You may also request a form to be faxed to your physician by calling WestJet at 1-800-581-9499 and asking for the Medical Desk.
- The WestJet Medical Form should be submitted as soon as possible, and a minimum of five days prior to flight departure to allow for adequate review time.
- Although we will do our best to review submissions received with less than five days' notice, WestJet cannot confirm the form will be reviewed prior to your travel.
- Guests must have received and been activated prior to booking to be eligible for the reduced fare. Absolutely no refunds or compensation will be provided to guests who have already flown prior to approval under the program. Guests wishing to book the extra seat in anticipation of approval may do so, but must be approved prior to flight in order to obtain any potential refund. If the guest is not approved prior to flight, the change or cancellation fees and guidelines for the flight segments reserved will apply.
- WestJet's Medical Desk nurse reviews medical forms submitted by your physician. Our nurse may contact your physician for more information prior to making a final decision to approve or decline your request. Decisions made by the Medical Desk are final.
- WestJet approves or denies applications based on the medical information provided by your physician in accordance with our interpretation of the rulings.
- If you are unsatisfied with some aspect of the service you received from the Medical Desk, please submit a letter to WestJet Guest Relations outlining your concerns.
- If you are unsatisfied with the outcome of your application for the One Person One Fare program or Medical Seating due to supplementary medical information you feel was not presented or considered, please submit this information by fax to the Medical Desk's confidential fax at 1-866-737-1202.
- If you remain unsatisfied with the outcome of your application, please feel free to contact the Canadian Transportation Agency (www.otc-cta.gc.ca/) to discuss your options.
For questions related to approved and declined applications, please contact the WestJet Medical Desk Monday to Friday from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. MT by calling 1-800-581-9499 and asking to be transferred. Please note: the WestJet Medical Desk is closed on statutory holidays.
Reservations under this program are only accepted by calling 1-800-581-9499. The following restrictions will apply:
- Only domestic flights flown wholly within Canada by WestJet will qualify under the One Person One Fare program.
- Any flight booked through WestJet Vacations or through our partner airlines will not qualify.
- The cost of your flight will include taxes and fees collected by WestJet on behalf of airport authorities and the federal government.
- Guests must have received and have active approval under the program to be eligible for the reduced fare. Absolutely no refunds or compensation will be provided to guests who have already flown prior to approval under the program.
- Flights reserved through westjet.com, travel agencies, online booking engines (Expedia or Travelocity, for example) or other booking methods cannot be used for OPOF bookings. Reservations booked via any other method will be cancelled and either refunded to the original form of payment (if cancelled within 24 hours of booking) or placed in a Travel Bank credit based on the fare type purchased. Any subsequent booking will be made at the available fare level which may be higher than the fare originally purchased.
A seat belt must be worn during take-off and landing, and at any time the "fasten seatbelt" sign is illuminated. We provide seat belt extenders at no charge; just ask one of our friendly inflight team members and one will be brought to you. Although some seat belt extenders are currently being sold publically, these items are not approved for use on WestJet aircraft and may not be used on our flights.