An enchanting blend of vitality and Caribbean charm, the all-inclusive Crystal Cove is nestled on a lovely beachfront cliff spanning one of the most idyllic locations on Barbados' renowned Platinum West Coast. Crystal Cove appeals to sophisticated romantics, family with children and those simply seeking laid back, quality family time.
Enjoy access to Waves Hotel & Spa. Water taxi service is complimentary and operates daily weather permitting.
(Norwich, United Kingdom)
Jul 27, 2021
We ventured out to Barbados during these troubling times to celebrate a milestone birthday. To anyone looking to travel, DO YOUR RESEARCH - dont rely on travel agents.
We arrived towards the end of June for 10 nights. I should state that when we arrived, Crystal Cove had just re-opened 10 days earlier. There were less than 20 rooms in use at the time, so the hotel was really quiet, so any points picked up on may have a valid reason.
We found the checkin process rather slow - i think it was an hour after first arriving before we got our keys (there was only 1 couple in front of us). The complimentary drink(s) and snacks were nice.
We were given a great room with a (slightly obstructed) nice view of the sea - even though we hadnt requested it. The main room was ok in size, not massive, though there was a decent sink / dressing space with reasonable storage. The rooms did feel a little dated, but were clean and tidy. The patio doors had seen better days.
Overall the hotel/complex is well maintained, was in good condition and was sufficient for us. The beach / sea was great - many times we were the only ones on the beach as others stayed at the pool. The sunloungers are fab as they have thick cushions and individual sun shades - very handy.
Food in the restuaruants was good quality, though there was a very limited menu (3 choices of each course) but we could understood why.
So the main pros were
- Nice, quaint, quiet hotel
- Covid protection/cleaniess was good
- Great beach / sea area
- Staff were all really friendly and nice all the time
- The Drifters outside beach bar/restaurant was right next to the sea. Service here was much better and things seemed better all round. However, due to some storms and hurricance Elsa, we could only use it twice during our stay.
- The Cave bar / swimming pools are nice and well maintained.
- Fresh beach towels delivered to your room daily
- Being on the West coast, the sea is lovely and calm and great for snorkeling and seeing the turtles
The main issues were
- bottled water is not supplied to your room daily and your mini-fridge is not restocked after day 1. Many times in the night you wake up thirsty and not have anything cold to drink other than tap water. You can ask anywhere for bottled water for your room (free) but you have to remember to do it. Didnt like this policy at all. Plus the bottles of water are really small in size.
- Reflections Restaurant - service was ok, some really nice people (Hello Kath). You have to wait to be seated, but no one is any urgency to seat you. There were often queues of people (and this is when the hotel is quiet). When food orders were placed, it would often take 30 to 45 mins before your food arrived - not sure why. And then, you would find that there would be something missing from what you asked for......and then the DILL.....why is DILL put in every single meal....not sure why this was.
- No nightlife / limited entertainment / it was dead. Ok, i know there were few people there, but it didnt feel like it would ever be a social place where you would all gather - but that may not be the case. To me, this feels like a quiet hotel for quieter people and families - not an issue necessarily if you want that.
- Rooms near the main road can hear load traffic noises - especially at 6am
Finally, Hurricane Elsa paid a visit during our stay but we never felt in any danger and the staff did a really good job of keeping us fed/watered and safe. Many staff stayed in the hotel overnight just to ensure they could be there for us. So i would like to thank all Crystal Cove staff for their care and dedication.
In conclusion, i would like to see the hotel when its busier to better see how it functions, but i'm not sure there is enough reason to want to go back to it.
If you can get a good deal, then i would definitely recommend it.
A wonderful break
(Dorking, United Kingdom)
Jul 26, 2021
They say it is the people who make a company successful and this certainly applies at Crystal Cove. All the staff were wonderful and made our holiday really special. Not once did we encounter any staff who were unhelpful.
The first week was quiet and for us it was lovely. However in the second week there was an influx of children which raised the noise levels and made it more difficult to read or swim , or dine quietly. Having had 4 children ourselves we are not anti children but at our age we will perhaps book an all- adult hotel next time , or go out of school holidays!
On arrival we had an issue with the room door and later with the shower,but it was quickly sorted. The only thing to criticise was that the bathroom needed an update and the curtains could have done with a clean.
The rooms - 321 and 320 - Oceanview- were wonderfully located on the site with beautiful views out to sea. All in all a wonderful break - despite all the hoops we had to jump through both in the UK and in Barbados - and we look forward to a return to Barbados as soon as we can.
Thank you Crystal Cove staff for our lovely break - and Marriott please don’t spoil it with any renovations you plan to make - it has enough character to keep it unique!