My husband and I travelled to this resort in April. We are UVC members and this resort is one of my favorites Secrets we've travelled to.
The resort itself is a little bit lower-key, so if you're looking to get crazy at night, this is not the place for you. If you're looking for a fun vibe at the pool and a relatively mellow evening, this will be right up your alley.
The rooms were beautiful. It really doesn't matter where you are (unless you're in a swimout on the lower floors), you're getting an amazing ocean view.
The restaurants were wonderful and we were never bored of our options. We loved ending our evenings at the Skybar where Koral took care of us. She was wonderful!! She was so helpful and always willing to go above and beyond for us.
The customer service at the pool was also a highlight. Jorge at the swim up bar was phenomenal. We celebrated my birthday while at the resort and he made it so special! I'll always remember him coordinating all the staff around the pool to sing me happy birthday and arranged for a cake to be brought down as well.
We enjoyed walks on the beach and views, but spent most of our time at the pool. I highly recommend this resort if you are looking for a slower-paced all-inclusive and staff that go above and beyond to make your stay memorable. We will definitely be back.
Jun 27, 2022
this is a great location. the bay is beautiful. the pools are very nice and larger than i expected based on photos. i'm sure the view is similar in all suites, but the higher up the better. i'd choose that over swim out at this location. cin cin was fantastic. also great lunch and views from castaways. the menu at the grill is limited; fewer options than other secrets. more bartenders after dinner would be great.
had great massages at the spa.
the suites aren't as large or updated as the newer resorts, but they are adequate.
Not Secrets Quality
Jun 23, 2022
The resort is in a beautiful area. Staff work very hard to ensure you are pleased. Alejandro and Marco from the entertainment team are the life of the resort. Leo at the pool bar is an excellent bartender, and very hard worker! Rooms were just ok- bed was extremely hard, and like the rest of the property the rooms need updates. The restaurants were all just ok. We found something to eat at every meal but not up to par with other Secrets. The pool at this resort is expansive, and very well kept! The fire show on the beach was very good. One big negative to this resort is the flies and gnats (everywhere)! We had to keep our wine glasses covered at indoor restaurants to avoid being filled with fruit flies. We likely would not return to this resort!
Already booked our next visit
Jun 22, 2022
This review is a bit overdue. My husband and I traveled to Secrets Huatulco March 30-April 10.
- Customer service: Jesus Angel Luna Leon - manager at Castaways, sets the example when it comes to customer service. He is always on the go and making sure everyone is well looked after. He arranged a number of special dinners for us and we were able to meet the chefs: Angel Comelio and Gerardo Camacho. They created some amazing meals.
Also have to mention Nuvla, Nancy and Nathaly - they always greet you with a smile and remember your name and room.
- Weather - you cannot beat the weather in Huatulco. Always sunny and hot. You will need to use an umbrella or spend time in the pool. Bring a float.
- Spa - aqua therapy and massage overlooking the ocean. A must do.
- Internet - WiFi closer to the lobby is better. I am typically on video conferences while there. At the preferred club they have accommodated additional connections and temporarily boosted the speed to my room.
- We were there in peak season and the towel game was unbelievable. We typically got up at 6am to go to the fitness center and half the chairs already had towels on them even though no one showed up for hours.
- Pools are large but many tiles missing. I have heard that they are in the process of fixing this.
- The party on the beach was a nice change, however, it was not well advertised. If not for Angel Luna, we would not have known what was going on. Many people were asking.
- There was an unfortunate medical situation while we were there. The staff responded quickly, however, it took over 20 minutes for EMTs to reach the hotel. If I had a medical condition the response time would concern me.
Everything good except for the food
Jun 22, 2022
I have stayed at so many all-inclusive hotels I can't even count them all. They all have one thing in common...the food is very rarely good and this one is no different.
From my very first meal to the very last meal, they were all disappointing. It is not for lack of selection either. This hotel has an Asian, Italian, French and Mexican restaurant as well as another restaurant that serves all sorts of stuff, room service and a pool bar/restaurant.
None of them are consistently good. The problem I think is the quality of food. If you are a huge carnivore you will be sad. If you don't eat meat, you may not care. Also, I have been to Italy, France and throughout Asia and not one plate served at the hotel resembles anything I ate in any of the countries. they would be better off at sticking to Mexican food and mastering things like burgers, steaks and maybe a salmon dish.
The best food is from room service. It's still not all that great but better than anything else.
The best part of this hotel is the employees. They are hands-down the most polite, helpful employees of any hotel i've ever stayed at in my life.
The views at this hotel are stunning and the beach is clean. You will not be annoyed by beach vendors b/c it is all very organized and they only allow a few vendors and they are not aggressive at all.
The worst part of this hotel is the flies and insects that are literally everywhere during rainy season. I went June 8th-15th and was appalled at the flies crawling all over the food. There was not one thing a fly had not touched. I got up and left lunch one day at Castaways because i was tired of fighting the flies for my lunch. I don't know if i would ever go back during this time of the year because of that. Also, bring the strongest mosquito spray you have because they will eat you alive.
Huatulco as a whole is a gem. The people are so kind and helpful. It is very safe so have no worries there at all! The taxis are all unionized and rates are posted. Keep in mind this hotel is about 15 minutes from the closest town, La Crucecita but the town is so cute and has soooooo many good food options.
We went out for most of our meals b/c i just couldn't deal with the food here.
If it is your first time in Huatulco and food is NOT a priority for you, stay here. The rooms are clean, the property is very well maintained and the employees are a treasure.