We have been meticulously planning for summer operations and over the past few months have proactively reduced capacity to ensure we can deliver a stable operation. We have been very measured in our approach, and are currently scheduled to operate 21 per cent less capacity in July 2022 than we did in July 2019. Our proactive efforts have been foundational to our summer planning and when comparing our current capacity to that of 2019, where we operated more than 700 flights a day, this summer we will operate 25 per cent fewer flights, averaging approximately 530 flights a day as announced on March 13, 2022, in WestJet's summer schedule announcement, Welcome back to the skies Canada.
Our number one priority is our guest’s travel experience and our proactive efforts have included:
- Extensive planning to ensure our aircraft are all flying in peak performance
- Hiring more than 1,000 people across all operational areas including our contact centre with hiring ongoing across multiple departments
- Informing guests in advance of travel about evolving timelines and requirements
- Introducing technology enhancements, including digital vouchers and pre-paid options to self-serve and save time at the airport
- Planning our schedule responsibly to accelerate Canada’s recovery
- Investing in additional WestJet oversight to support our third-party providers responsible for actioning and delivering our baggage services
- Updating guests through a direct email sent on May 27, 2022 from our chief operating officer Diederik Pen,
As we prepare for the busiest travel weekend since pre-pandemic, we have been working closely with our airport partners, third-party providers and the federal government to mitigate challenges. We will continue to be transparent throughout this process and will continue advocate for the stabilization of services along with the permanent removal of outdated health measures to provide greater confidence and certainty to our guests and employees.
We appreciate our guests continued patience and understanding as we work together in recovery.