We will attempt to notify you as soon as possible of flight delays and cancellations. When we communicate any delay or cancellation, we will inform you of:
- the reason for the delay or cancellation
- compensation our guests may be entitled to
- standards of treatment
- recourse available against WestJet, when applicable
If we receive new information regarding a flight delay or cancellation, we will communicate it to you as soon as possible. We will provide updates every 30 minutes using the methods below until a new departure time is set or alternative travel arrangements have been made.
Please note, if you booked your trip through a third-party such as a travel agent, airline partner, travel site or AIR MILES®, we recommend that you contact them.
There are many ways that we communicate with you so you can stay informed of changes to your trip:
Before you arrive at the airport
- Via email, as long as you have provided WestJet with your WestJet Rewards ID or email address. Otherwise, we will not be able to send you email notifications about your flight status or itinerary, or messages may be sent to your travel arranger instead.
- If you booked your trip through a third-party such as a travel agent, airline partner, travel site or AIR MILES®, we recommend that you contact them, as you may not receive direct communications from WestJet, or you may receive modified version of these communications.
- On our website through flight status or travel advisories. To receive an up-to-date email confirmation, please retrieve your itinerary.
Download the WestJet app and enable your app notifications to stay informed on-the-go.
At the airport
- during check-in
- by the departure and arrival screens located throughout airport terminals, where feasible
- announcements at the airport
- updates provided every 30 minutes until a new departure time is set or whenever new information is available
On the aircraft
- announcements every 30 minutes (when safe for our pilots to do so)
We strongly recommend that you ensure you, or your travel arranger, has provided us with your WestJet Rewards ID, an email address, or current phone number.
You can also review our domestic tariff, specifically rule 90: Schedule Irregularities. Delays, cancellations and compensation.
Flying with a non-WestJet operated airline?
Policies for communicating flight delays and cancellations can be different between airlines. If you’re travelling on a flight operated by a carrier other than WestJet, we recommend that you visit the airline’s website to learn about their policies, fees and terms and conditions of carriage.
If you have concerns about how the delay or cancellation of your flight was communicated, the airline that operated the affected flight will be best equipped to deal with your concerns.
Contact us about concern regarding a WestJet flight