(Chelmsford, United Kingdom)
Sep 21, 2023
I stayed here with my family for 8 nights and had a fantastic time! We opted for the all inclusive package which is definitely worth it, including the majority of drinks, a breakfast buffet, lunch service and a lovely dinner service (barbecue on certain nights!). There is also a variety of water sports equipment (non-motorized) available as part of the all-inclusive package.
The staff really make this resort a friendly place - they go above and beyond to talk to each customer and make sure that everyone is okay. The managers sometimes talk to every table during dinner which made us feel very welcome. The chef and waiter staff were also very helpful in regards to my nut allergy. Everything was taken care of for me with careful consideration. The waiters also made an effort to remember us and were all lovely, friendly people.
Finally, the resort was just a gorgeous place! There is a private beach and small pool (which was generally quiet when we were there), a small gym for any hotel guests to use, a hot tub, a spa within a cave and a separate cave that you can swim in! There are also 4 friendly cats who each have their own favourite spots (I love animals so this made me very happy haha).
All in all a brilliant stay located just 5 minutes from the airport, and Bermuda is a wonderful island too.
Such an accommodating resort for people with food allergies!
Sep 14, 2023
With a severe nut allergy, gluten intolerance, and vegan diet, it is very difficult for me to find places to eat out, let alone travel and stay for prolonged periods of time. The staff at Grotto Bay proved that traveling with strict dietary needs is not only possible, but can be an enjoyable part of your trip.
From the supportive and thorough email coordination weeks in advance with General Manager de Bekker, personalized and in-depth sit-down conversations with Head Chef Jeff, to diligent and responsible wait staff, I was treated with extreme care and caution from the moment I arrived at the resort until I left. The staff ensured that every meal I ate was to my needs and also extremely tasty and unique. I always felt attended to and respected with every request and conversation.
The treatment I received at Grotto Bay exceeded my expectations, and I could not recommend staying here more. If you stay with Grotto Bay, I can attest that the high-quality, kind, and dedicated staff will be as memorable as the beautiful island itself.
A Good Value For The Cost; Met Our Expectations
Sep 14, 2023
My wife and I recently stayed 7 nights at this resort. Overall, it was a good stay. This was our 7th trip to Bermuda but 9 years from our previous trip. Here are the reasons for this rating:
1. Good value for the cost relative to other resort accommodations on the island. Bermuda is an expensive vacation location. So finding a price point that is reasonable can be a challenge. We stayed in a room closest to the water so we were willing to pay a bit more for the stay. We did not pay for the all-inclusive option as we like to move around to eat our meals. But the value of the added all-inclusive price is very good if you like to drink often as all beverages including alcohol are included in the pricing.
2. We loved the outdoor beach bar and grill area. It is very spacious and offers good views and plenty of space to sit and enjoy a meal. We had lunch there a few times during our stay as it was very convenient.
3. The grounds are very nice and picturesque. We liked the layout of the resort as the main house sits on a hill with many accommodations placed down the rolling landscape toward the harbor. Had a very Bermudian look and feel to the property. The cave and the gazebo (where you can feed the fish) were nice touches. The beach is small but sufficient for this location. The waters are calm. Good place just to relax and chill. We didn’t use the pool much but it was always clean. It is fairly small but during our stay it was never crowded.
4. Although our room was not very big, it suited us just fine. Everything worked (including the AC) with no issues. Daily housekeeping was appreciated. The views from our room were nice as we booked an upper floor room.
5. The food was good overall. We had dinner at the resort once, breakfast 4 times and lunch 3 times. We had no meal issues. See below for other island restaurant comments for those looking to eat elsewhere.
6. There were 4-5 cats running around that were very friendly. We love cats (we have 4) so that was a surprising plus for us.
7. Service was never an issue for us. In general, the resort people we met were friendly and accommodating. Maybe a few more smiles when conversing might improve how people feel but we don’t get too worked up about stuff like that.
1. The resort does not sit on the ocean. It sits on a harbor with more limited sight lines to the ocean. It also is close to the airport which you can easily view from the back of the resort. As air traffic was pretty minimal, the airport did not impose any unusual noise issues.
2. This resort is located close to the far end of the island. So traveling to the south shore beaches or Hamilton or the Somerset area is a pretty far scooter ride. We prefer to stay closer to the south shore beaches or the middle of the island but with Elbow Beach and the Southhampton Princess not in operation, our choices were limited to do that. If you like St George then this resort is very convenient. Also Swizzle Inn is right down the road (we love that place). St George is not a favorite town for us (although we love Tobacco Bay for snorkeling and swimming) so this location was not a great plus for us. If possible, we will try to stay more central the next time we visit.
3. Our bathroom was very small.
4. The light outside our front door lit up the room at night even with the blinds closed. In order to darken the room at night to sleep, I had to unscrew the lightbulb so that it no longer shined into our . That helped a lot (you might want to screw it back in as I forgot to do this when we left).
5. The resort does feel a bit dated and worn out in places. It is an aging resort. But it was well maintained and clean.
6. Construction was just beginning toward the end of our stay which had minimal impact on our stay. But going forward, we would not stay at any resort during a major construction period. It is starting in earnest very soon and will likely impact the Fall vacation period before the holidays. Beware.
Grades of other restaurants we ate at:
Coconuts (at the Reefs) - A
Swizzle Inn - B
Wahoo’s Waterside Bistro (St George) - C
Henry VIII - D
Cafe Lido (Grounds at Elbow Beach) - A++
Portifino (Hamilton) - B
Sep 02, 2023
Highly recommend this hotel. Lots af fun things at or nearby to explore. The food and service was incredible. We opted for all inclusive option. The famous Rum Swizzle Inn is within walking distance. The airport is only 5 minutes away. They even have a water sports facility onsite.
Spend your money elsewhere.
Aug 30, 2023
I rely heavily on other travelers reviews, so when I do leave a review, I take it very seriously.
I have been to myriad all inclusive resorts in the Caribbean. This resort needs the most updating…..outdated rooms and crumbling walkways. My biggest gripe relates to the staff. Some people were nice and friendly however, there were many who were disinterested in helping and at times rude. In the morning, you can see towels and garbage left around the pool area and by the beach that had never been cleaned up. As for the food, breakfast was very good, and lunch was fair. At dinner, most meals were over cooked. Lastly, anyone who travels knows you will find chickens all over the place however, I have never been to a Resort with so many feral cats before.