(Oxton, United Kingdom)
Feb 01, 2023
We traveled from Scotland for what was supposed to be a once in a lifetime holiday. We had booked Club Mobay to help guide us through the very hectic airport, they were brilliant and we were able to bypass very very long queues. We did have to wait one hour for our luggage and then half an hour on the coach till it filled up.
First impression of our room was good, it was large with a huge shower and a big balcony. Later we discovered that there was no towel rail in the bathroom, only one hook, There was a towel rail on the balcony but everything blew off it. Very small amount of space around the basins for toiletries. No robes or slippers, no cover on the duvet - it was sandwiched between 2 sheets, the pillow cases didn’t fit the pillows and one of the bedside lights did not work. There are privacy curtains so that you can use the lovely big bath tub on the balcony only they flapped all day and all night so much so that they had holes in them by the end of our stay and even with 4 large clothes pegs they would not stay shut..
It is prohibited to smoke on the balcony and there is only one smoking area in the whole of the property.
When you look at the Sandals marketing material you see sunbeds on the beach and by the pool with lovely big thick cushions on them and well spaced apart….not the case here! Some sun beds do have cushions but many were hard plastic. The beach is small and the chairs mainly packed in like Sardines. The music round the pool and on the beach is loud.
The restaurants are average. The chairs in Spice’s are very uncomfortable as they are in Bombay at breakfast time, don’t go to Bombay for breakfast if you are in a hurry or starving, it is extremely slow. There is no honey or Marmalade at breakfast, I asked but was told there was none, only jam and chocolate spread. The bacon really needs help and if you want toast you have to put it through about 3 times.
I was served wine from the main bar in a PLASTIC glass at 10pm!
We used the loop system at the hotel to communicate our main concerns to the management team, Mr Khan, Celine and other members of the management team were quick to respond to our issues, however we did not expect to spend time getting things sorted out.
Unfortunately the attitude of many of the female staff was not good, we really felt like we were bothering them if we asked for anything, they were very slow, appeared grumpy and did not look happy.
We were so disappointed that we had spent a fortune for this holiday and had traveled for approximately 11 hours …..It was not the holiday we had dreamt about for so long.
Jan 31, 2023
Spent one week at Royal Caribbean for our Honeymoon and couldn’t be happier! All of the other guests raved about this location as well. Butler service was fantastic, and we really felt pampered by them and our housekeeper Rosan… room was always clean and smelled great, and everything we needed was brought very quickly.
Great time in paradise.
Jan 28, 2023
We booked this trip 2 years in advance to celebrate my wife’s 40th bday. Booked the over water villa for 4 nights then moved to the over water bungalow for the last 3 nights. Based on other reviews we requested villa number 2 and bungalow number 6. Both requests were accepted. We stayed in our room every day during the day so I can’t say too much about the pool or main beach. We eat at all the restaurants. The Indian Bombay was the best but all were good. We’ve travelled to many all incisive resorts and this food is near or at the top. The pizza is actually really good.
Can’t say enough about our butlers Roland and Akeem. They made everything about our stay extra special from bringing breakfast and lunch to special treats. They even escorted us to dinner every night with our preferred drinks. They definitely went above and beyond. Both the villa and bungalow are amazing. From the villa we could walk in the water and take some great pictures. The pool is a bit chilly but once you’re in it’s good with great views.
Villa 2 had great privacy. The deck is much bigger in person.
Bungalow 6 is also facing the sea. Most of the other bungalows face inland. If you want to face the sea ask for bungalows 6-8. We couldn’t walk into the water as it’s about 10-12 feet deep here but still enjoyable. Life jackets and snorkel gear are provided on the deck. We got to see some cool fish along with a huge barracuda.
My only complaint would be the round floating devices attached to each villa and bungalow. They are meant for guests to relax in but the majority of the time they are full of seagulls who just poop on and in it. I would remove those floating devices. Everything else was amazing. The night entertainment was pretty good. The piano bar sing along guy was amazing. Playing piano with one hand and the saxophone with the other. A few rowdy groups for 2 nights but overall a decent crowd. Would definitely return.
A Honest Review by a Laidback Couple
Jan 27, 2023
I don’t exactly know where to start. Our first visit to Jamaica for our honeymoon. Neither me nor my husband have ever vacationed at a Sandals, and not too sure if we will again.
- Our two butlers deserve a huge thanks, Andre & Shannakay made EVERY effort to make our stay comfortable, fun and enjoyable. 10/10 recommend asking for them if you do decide to stay at this place.
- A wide variety at the breakfast buffet, yummy food; but that bacon needs help! Thai, French and Pizza venues for food are great, but the Indian restaurant wasn’t great.
- Friendly staff, everyone wants you to be happy and enjoy your time, but we were expected to tip, practically everyone. Which seemed a bit backwards from what I had read prior to our visit.
- Cheese boards are lacking, was truly shocked to have been charged $35 for grocery store cheeses. There are TONS of local goat farmers, why can’t the food be locally supported?!
- No ATM at the resort, so we were ordered a cab to get more cash.
- The bed was hard as a rock, pillows were terrible/flat and hold no shape for neck support.
- Unsure if the newer buildings on the property were improved, but there were no fans in the bathroom… Yikes.
- We totally understand that this is a “wedding” venue as well, but on our last 3 days, there was a leaf blower going at 6am!
- Bring your own snorkel equipment if you want to go snorkeling at the resort. Equipment is not provided.
- Cabanas on the property are $150 per day to “rent” from 9am - 5pm, and anything more than a beer & virgin drinks are not complimentary during this time.
- If you have an aversion to cats, THIS IS NOT THE PLACE FOR YOU. They are EVERYWHERE. Some do bite, scratch and attack. While we were at dinner a couple behind us got a scare when one of the cats basically attacked his partner. We are cat lovers, but these cats NEED to be spayed/neutered if they are to be around the public. They aren’t all aggressive, as seen in our photos, but it is not always great.
- Beaches and grounds are well groomed, the resort is clean and well maintained.
- The wide variety of different pools/hot tubs was super nice so we weren’t forced to sit next to the “loud pool” if we didn’t want to.
- Local “businessmen” on paddle boards while you’re trying to relax on the beach, by the pool, or even on your patio are consistently whistling at you to get your attention. We understand that they are trying to provide for their families. But they are relentless and the staff can only ask they don’t step foot on the property. So they stick to the waters edge. Needless to say this is NOT relaxing.
- They tell you the photo snapshot session is “complimentary” until you want the photos at $420 for 30 photos. Ridiculously overpriced for mediocre photos that are NOT edited or corrected. As a photographer myself, I would take the time to edit out people walking in the backgrounds, beach, etc.
- Last but not least, THE PLANES, the airport of Montego Bay is located about 10 minutes down the road from the resort, so every 8 minutes, a plane is taking off and flying overhead. Obviously this is something that can’t be changed, BUT it should be mentioned on the website.
Jan 27, 2023
We enjoyed our stay very much at sandals Royal Caribbean. It is our first time and the staff here is so wonderful. The best part of our trip was Rosan our room attendant who went above and beyond expectations. All of the restaurants are so good especially the Thai restaurant and the entertainment staff is great.