Exemptions and deductions
For travel agencies
- WestJet requires that documentation proving compliance with the rules (verified before the exemption was granted) be kept for a minimum of four years.
- It is your responsibility to ensure that tax exemptions provided adhere to the exemption rules specific to the tax being exempted at any particular time and to ensure you are aware of the applicable rules at the time of granting any exemption.
- For more information on GST/HST rates, please see taxes and fees.
- The GST/HST exemption rules for Federal and Provincial government departments are based on agreements between the Federal government and each Provincial or Territorial government. These agreements currently allow the exemption of the GST/HST for certain provincial bodies or entities of the provinces or territories of Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta, Northwest Territories and the Yukon. Information on provincial bodies or entities can be obtained by calling the Canada Revenue Agency at 1-800-959-8287. The exemption from GST/HST is only valid if the service is sold to a provincial body or entity for the official business of that body or entity and the purchase is paid for with "crown funds". Employees of provincial bodies or entities purchasing travel for official business with their personal credit cards are not exempt.
A Mexican Fiscal Electronic Invoice (CFDI) is an electronic invoice provided to corporate tax payers who require documentation to support tax deductions on amounts paid for business purposes when filing taxes in Mexico. Eligible guests with flights originating in Mexico who require a Mexican CFDI should be able to get documentation by providing their ticket number and date of issue through the following link:
http://webportal.edicomgroup.com/customers/westjet/pasaje/consulta-ticket-cfdi-westjet.html (in Spanish).
Mexican tourist tax exemption
- If your itinerary includes travel between Canada and Mexico, and you are a Mexican citizen (holding a Mexican passport), or a resident of Mexico (permanent or temporary) holding a Mexican visa, you may be entitled to a refund of the Mexico Tourism Tax (UK tax code) included in the price of your ticket. All refund claims must be processed before travel commences. Please call us at 1-888-WESTJET.
- If you believe you are entitled to a refund of this tax, please call 1-888-WESTJET to process your booking and provide the information required to confirm your qualification.