We have just returned from a one week stay at the Aquamarine, first time at this part of the Bahia Principe resort. The grounds, pool, beach etc all great. Customer Service across the board absolutely terrible, at least in comparison to previous stay's at the Amber, Bavaro and Punta Cana.
1) Buffett food was great, Al Carte's not worth the effort. The Steakhouse "Meat", we were there 3 couples non of the food was cooked as requested. Portofino, the so called spicy Pizza was a basic Pepperoni NOT spicy pizza, El Oliva wasn't worth the hype, food less than satisfactory.
2) El Oliva restaurant Manager an absolute ignorant jerk, when we reported his attitude at lobby they acted as if they already know about his behavior but suggested complaining wouldn't do anything.
2) Room never cleaned properly, towels removed and not replace, coffee not always replaced. Last night room not cleaned at all.
3) Hall and stairwells filthy, we saw the qtip on a step for 4 days, we thought it was cleaned turns out was just kicked down on another level.
4) 90% of staff from Bar tenders, to servers seemed to be constantly on their personal phones. Lady cleaning bathroom was on her phone while mopping.
5) Pool bar runs out of coke at 10am, tells you come back in 5min, 30mins later they get coke. Pool bar never have more than 2 people working at one time, many times a single bartender, long lines.
6) Main Lobby bar even worse than Pool bar, one person making drink, 2-3 other staff simple hovering around back of bar. Bar would consistently run out of Glasses for drinks. Lobby bar ran out of vodka, no interest to get more. In general mixed drinks, Martini's, Manhattan, Old Fashions were terrible in taste.
8) Pool towel exchange get there 1st AM otherwise you have to wait until mid afternoon to replace towels, plus the towels were in terrible condition.
7) Whenever you raised an issue we got the sense that we were bothering them.
We were there 3 couples all experience similar issues and some additional. I would not recommend the Aquamarine to anyone.
Pretty Good - better than what the negative whiners say.
William G D
Jan 23, 2023
I really get a hoot out of all the UK reviews that say this place is horrid.
Look - you’re not at the Biarritz ! They whine about everything. We’ve been to BP six times and the food this time around was much better - it’s clear they’ve made an effort to ramp it up. Haven’t had a bad meal yet. The comments about inedible buffet food are laughable : I had many made to order omelettes by friendly staff and tipped them well.
The only negative is that the pool is way too loud - the music starts at 10 and doesn’t stop until 5:30… it’s all rah rah rah for young or drunken people. Some of us like quiet and relaxation … you’ll need a different place for that than BP.
We enjoyed it mostly and love the ocean.
A great vacation!
(Amalfi Coast, Italy)
Jan 23, 2023
We have just returned from Aquamarine where we had a lovely vacation.
We were concerned because of all of the negative reviews however the resort was beautiful and we enjoyed ourselves very much. We have stayed at many five star resorts and while the resort is not new it has a certain charm that we found appealing. The rooms were spacious and clean.
The first room we were put in had a musty smell and a strong smell of air freshener, (I am allergic to both) Alan from the checkin counter changed our room and it was so much better. The only issue we had with our room was that while it was in a great location, close to the lobby and buffet, there was loud music and noise from the entertainment staff which gets to be a lot after a while. It would be nice if they lowered the volume a bit and maybe put in a break because it starts in the morning and didn't end until midnight most days. If you want a quieter room I would suggest asking for a room further from the lobby and buffet in the 8400 block.
The food was good, Limbo was the best for us. We booked the al la carte restaurants at the guest service desk when we arrived and we were able to get reservations for all of the nights. The app did not work for us to make reservations five days before we arrived as suggested.
The resort is about a seven minute walk to the beach however there was constant trolleys going back and forth and we did not have any trouble getting one at the times it was needed.
If you want a good chair for the pool or the beach, you have to put your towels on them early in the morning. We bought clips from the dollar store to hold the towels onto them.
My husband went down at around seven to put the towels down and he did not have any problem. Its unfortunate that it works this way however if you don't do it you probably will not get a good chair.
Most people we spoke to liked the resort very much however there is always a few people that will never be happy....it must be exhausting.
It’s great !!
(St Peter Port, United Kingdom)
Jan 22, 2023
Hello I’m writing this review as the some of the ones I had read before going on holiday made me worry that the hotel wasn’t ok.
So I want to reassure anyone going. We’ve just had 10 nights there and it’s absolutely brilliant !! The hotel complex is beautiful. Food is great, varied and fresh. Staff are kind and charming and clearly work very hard. Location stunning. Rooms are massive. No shortage of swim up bars. All in all a big thumbs up. Great gym. Etc etc
Jan 18, 2023
Just back from Bahia Principe Aquamarine (Jan.11-18th,2023). This resort is very big and it’s not directly on the beach only one resort back.There are many golf cars to drive you around and only a 6-7 min walk to the beach.
The resort is very well kept, landscaping and very clean. We found there was a bad language barrier. Most workers could not communicate at all.
You need to book your a la carte as soon as you arrive there to have availability (the app didn’t work to reserve 5 days prior) A nice touch is that you can book a restaurant for every night.
There are many mosquitoes causing very bad bites on legs and ankles. Many people were bit.
The main lobby seemed to be the worst spot to get the bites.
Buffet was plentiful and lots of food to satisfy your hunger.
A la carte were good, Japanese was our favourite.
Our friends ordered wine for their room telling them it was free only to find out they charged $52 US on their room even if they returned it as they didn’t have a corkscrew and realized the paper they signed showed that charge. Because the seal was opened they had to pay for it. So be careful of what you sign for.
Overall a very nice resort and had a great vacation.